Thread: Nikon 1.4X Teleconverter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon 1.4X Teleconverter

I have a 1.4E Nikon Teleconverter which I have owned for the past 12 years or so. I just received my new Nikon 200 - 500 mm f/5.6 lens and as I was testing this lens I decided to try it with the teleconverter and I found it does quite a little hunting for focus, which it does not do without it attached. I have noticed that I have a little hunting when it is attached to my Nikon f/4 600mm. I am wondering if the new versions of the teleconverter such as the Nikon 1.4 XE III would be an improvement over the one I have. These, as you know, are an expensive item and I don't want to purchase one without some assurance that it will solve the problem. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mac

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Which body?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave,

Both the D4 and D800E.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler McDougal Jr. View Post
    Hi Dave,

Both the D4 and D800E.
    I'm no Nikon expert, but I thought that the D4 would manhandle any combination at f/8, which is where you should end up with combining f/5.6 with a 1.4x

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wheeler, the 1.4xTC-II and III are both streets ahead of the first version.
    The III is also better than the II when it comes to AF, sharpness etc.
    12 years is a lot of mileage to get from that TC. Time for a new one, especially if you want to use it on that zoom lens...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel
    I was afraid that that might be the cause, no one likes to have to buy one of those if one doesn't have to. By the way Happy belated birthday. I wish I could join you for one of your guided photographic safaris, but unfortunately I just had my 75th birthday back in March and I think maybe it would be too tough for me. I ordered the new 200-500 zoom because my 600 f/4 is really too heavy for me to lug around and really too heavy for handheld photography. I also have a 200-400 f/4 but it is a little too short and slightly too heavy for extended hand held work. I bought the new 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 to replace the 200-400 f/4 and have enjoyed the weight of this lens, but not the lack of light. By the way, I have a 1.7E II and a 2.0E III but they suck up more light than I would like. Enough of my ramblings. Anyway thanks for the information and I will order a new 1.4 x teleconverter soon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Wheeler!
    I think you can compensate for the lack of light in the 80-400 by just pushing ISO on the D4 a tad?
    Enjoy the new converter!
    Don't sell yourself short on joining a photo safari in Africa - the flights are the hardest part. The rest is quite comfortable and we look after our guests very well
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mac;Good for you, I hope you are getting lots of great shots with your new lens.Have you bought the 1.4xTC~III ? If so, has it solved your focus hunting issue? Also, could you please let us know how the new 200 - 500 compares with the 200 - 400F4. Many of us 70+ year olds are also having issues handholding our trusty HEAVY zoom lens.Cheers, Orca

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

I haven't used any tele converters but I was thinking of getting one. I want it as an option on short tele primes, mostly manual focus lenses, 85 to 180 mm. If I understand correctly the Nikon TC14E will only mount on some lenses so it's not an option?