Thread: The silent killer

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The silent killer

Attached Images Attached Images

This was one of the early testing shots, not quite as dramatic as the previous in flight shot, both in terms of flight angle, but also the more dramatic light. Taken in the morning when the light was flat and very uninspiring, but hey, no use just waiting for light in my book, getting out there is what it's all about and pushing yourself, the gear and your thinking . For me the IQ isn't quite there, but you are shooting remotely, and NOT behind a camera, which, IMHO makes a big/HUGE difference. The bale had too be there as it gave the owlets scope for flying, exploring their new world of theirs and close enough to fly back to the safety of the nest.

Not had much chance to spend time since, however it appears all have now gone, parents have done their job in raising the young, so we will have to see what happens for the future.

Just to clarify, this is BAITED!

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little Owl (Athene noctua) coming in, wide angle
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 16-35mmf/2.8 MKII Pod/Uniqball head
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/9 ISO2500
    Additions: LC-5 Controller, WFT-E6 Transmitter, Macbook pro, can't be certain on the complete configuration, just the main elements
    Original format: Landscape, cropped for presentation
    Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I respect your honesty (re: baiting).

Love the image, great POV and must be tough to get. I am like you, I get out and shoot, not waiting for
    light all the time.
    The WA view is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Akos matey, if the image is baited I will disclose, but this is NOT with live or even dead mice, voles etc, I never use them, it's not something I would consider and white, fluffy 'Harrod' from the pet shop is a bit of a giveaway, likewise straight out of the freezer, LOL. The earthworms in previous images were from where they have foraged themselves within the patch dug over in the meadow.

Cheers.

4. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I wouldnt want to be a mouse/Vole looking up at this guy coming down. Great wingspan, and love the perspective with the use of the short lens. Im fine with the bale in the BG, and feel you have done excellently considering the light. Well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice incoming shot with the hay bale in the BG. Once again it gives the good sense of the farm yard hunter. Good look at the feet and talons about to pounce. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Steve good timing. As you say the light wasn't quite what you hoped for but it looks natural, I was going to suggest warming it a tad but that would completely contradict your intention
    You have used a very short lens so I would imagine the DOF is not really much of a consideration so I would have used a wider aperture and consequently a lower ISO. I am not suggesting it is not high quality but a lower ISO may have been better - WDYT?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers folks, as I said, it all about trying to push things and get out of ones comfort zone, whilst still having fun.

Jonathan, the 16-35 was to think big and to have more environment in with the impact of the owl approaching almost in you face, or in this instance screen. Also for variety, as it makes us think differently using smaller lenses. I think a slower SS would not have frozen the moment, you need a fast SS, plus I'm having to guess where the plane of focus will be. I'm also conscious of not stressing the subject and kept this exercise to a minimum, especially as they were still feeding the young. Hopefully I can add more into the equation when next year comes.

BTW Ben Hall did a cracking image, I think of a Barn owl, almost shooting directly up.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve think it's great that you are trying different things even though you are getting excellent results with what I would call normal photography, hope you get my drift,this again as worked very very well.

Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like he/she was almost on top of you. What an intense stare. Lovely action image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely love this one Steve!
    Everything about it, including the hay bale. The BG branches and leaves coming in from the top add a lot of depth - this image wouldn't have been the same without them.
    You couldn't have timed this any better.
    You're super picky about color, so I hesitate to say this, but I generally find your avian images a bit on the cool side. I'd warm this up a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're super picky about color, so I hesitate to say this, but I generally find your avian images a bit on the cool side. I'd warm this up a bit.
    Hi Sid, indeed I am, but it stems from a background of Design and Advertising and where colour is key and clients are very demanding about their 'Corporate' palette, LOL. Also photo libraries can be the same, but I have friends who are even more picky than me, I just try to ensure the image reflects as best it can the scene and provides as close a portrayal as possible.

Never hesitate, as IMHO that is what a Forum should be about, sharing views, thoughts and also if there is a way to improve things or note for the future. For me, colour plays a huge part, even a simple change can influence the viewers eyes, this is why I am very light handed with the overall colour & especially saturation and relying far more in the actual make-up of the colour, via things like WB, HSL, Selective colour etc. Also people do at times push colour to give the image a vibrancy, or over saturate the scene to achieve what the think is right, but this changes things 'Globally' rather than 'Selectively' IMHO.

I'd warm this up a bit.
    Remember, the day was flat, with no real warmth to the light, more cooler, so the colour will be rather 'uninspiring' .

Very much appreciate the thought & feedback.

Steve

13. Thanks Sidharth Kodikal thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Your image, your call for sure.

I personally feel that there's an artistic license inherently assumed in photography.
    For example, BGs are never blurred in real life. When you expose for the whites on a white bird against a dark BG and end up with a substantially darker BG, well that's not 'faithful to the scene'.
    I'm definitely not for big changes in images, but I personally think that if a bit of warmth improves an image on an otherwise dull day, so be it.

But I also see your point about the tendency to overdo vibrancy, saturation, sharpening etc.

Thanks for the conversation. It made me think.

Sid

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sid, I full take on board your thoughts and likewise, good to exchange POV's, it's healthy, as often we can work in our own 'micro' world.

How about...