Thread: Another take on blurs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another take on blurs

Attached Images Attached Images

I run off at the mouth enough here -- time to put up or shut up. This is a blur from several years ago. I'm rarely content with a single blur so usually combine 2-3 (usually from the same series) with different blend modes -- whatever looks good, and tweaks to Curves or the like or masking for each. I polished this one off with a solid tan layer in Hue mode. I did quite a few of these in a fairly short time and the ones I liked best wound up as a series called Forest Fantasy. They are on my now-long-neglected web site.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Different Dianne, and I like it! It reminds me of the forest fires you have been having with leaves/needles that are burnt. Moody evocative piece.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantasy is a great title for images like this one. Beautiful colors. Simple. I wonder about adding a bit more blur to the dark "tree" in lower left half of image--it seems to have more definition than the rest of the image and thus draws my eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one Diane, especially the subdued color palette and mood. I think Anita has a good point regarding the one dark tree.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, the L corner looks like the aftermath of a fire... I could mess with it a bit, but what bugs me more is the plain area in the UR. The image could stand up to a crop from the top, just leaving that area's lower fringe as a partial framing element.

Fires are an unpleasant thought out here just now. We're fortunately in an area with major roads, close to a major town, and within the belt of frequent coastal fog, so don't think we're in huge danger from the massive fires that are burning in dry forests and wild scrub brush land farther inland, where it is hotter and drier. They need a new designation to augment National Forest: National Scrub Brush Regrowth Region.) I got an aerial picture of nearby fire the other day -- will post it in Family, Friends and Fun.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a version in which I cloned in some blur in upper right, and did a motion blur on dark tree in lower left. I also blurred the whole thing and used it as a texture to tone down the bright areas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane, I really love this technique and will definitely have to try it out. It reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. Anyway, it's gorgous. I like Anita's repost.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I found your technique of layers of blurs and blends very interesting and must now look among my images to find some to experiment with. The browns and grays of this image certainly bring to mind forest fires and the aftermath. Using motion blurring is a very effective way to mingle the shapes and colors of the event/image, conveying to the viewer that everything was affected. Anita has a good repost.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good work Anita! I'll get back to this one and play some more. I think I'd also reduce the brightest areas on the trunk, just a little.

I have probably 25-30 in this series. It's old and time to revisit it. I never flatten layers so it's easy to make minor revisions.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 08-21-2015 at 01:09 PM.