Thread: Lens cap for Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lens cap for Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS

The other day I was trying to cram as much lens as I could in an older and smaller camera backpack, to carry on my bike to a location where I've been shooting. I can carry the 7D2 + 100-400 II, but wanted to try for a little more aperture (and perhaps slightly better AF) with the 300 f/2.8 + 1.4X or 2X III. It wouldn't quite fit with the reversed lens hood. So I decided I didn't really need the hood, as the sun was almost always at my back and the center of mass is a little farther back without it. But the front element of the lens was too close to the end of the lens for comfort. The OEM lens cap was an awkward fit without the hood so I put a microfiber cloth over the end with a big rubber band and hoped for the best, but wasn't happy with the thought of the front element rubbing against something in the bag.

When I got home I made a paper cutout of the outside diameter of the front end and headed for the supermarket. Bingo. This plastic lid fits like a glove and is rigid enough to protect the lens.

Name:  300 lens cap 1_I0A3301.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  280.8 KB

http://anchorhocking.com/prodd_5002_...eal_2_cup.html

And three other mods, while I'm at it. The focus ring is easy to brush against when handholding so I keep it taped with a piece of gaffer's tape. I leave the tripod foot in the normal "down" position, pad it with dense foam, and rest it against my left wrist, which further keeps me away from the focus ring. I have also wrapped a soft tennis racket grip just ahead of it, which gives me good gripping action. (And is a pleasant reminder of the days when I used to play tennis...)

Name:  300mm lens cap 2_I0A3300.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  387.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good thinking Diane. Not just a pretty face Thanks for sharing this and taking the time to share it with us

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How cool! Good going, Diane! (I love the "Designer" Lens Cap!)
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliant solution to a practical problem, Diane! Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great idea, Diane!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is cool Dianne, I read that Tupperware used to carry something that would fit the 500, but no longer. I will have to get one. ( they sell this in Canada, I checked). The only thing I would worry about is leaving it on for any length of time as plastic will off-gas, and maybe damage the coating on the lens (just a guess). TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good thought about out-gassing. I'd think it would be OK for a short time, but the hotter it is, the greater the chance. I wouldn't use it for permanent storage, just for re-configuring when space in a bag is critical. I do need to check if there is one that fits the 600.