Thread: One, big old 'unit' - (Nimitz class!!!)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One, big old 'unit' - (Nimitz class!!!)

Attached Images Attached Images

Often we know exactly what we see when we shoot, but occasionally you get an added bonus. Whether it was the movement of the Rhino, or the shutter going off I don't know, but to get a flight of Red-billed Ox Peckers taking off, in-line, for me is pretty cool, not forgetting the Rhino too.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread, I still have to reply I know, just spinning plates at present and it isn't going to get any easier.

Steve

Subject: Rhino (Ceratotherium simum), side on, ox-peckers in flight off the back, late morning
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/8 ISO400 (no IS, I tend not to shoot now with this on)
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015

Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve

Title very apt for the launch of these fearless fighters!
    Rhino well processed and pops just enough against BG.
    I think a little less DOF might have been more effective, the pilots are in the same plane..I think..
    Strange that on all Rhino images there are ticks on the rib cage- yes the mud bath and the subsequent rub can not always remove these critters,
    but are the hungry oxpeckers not doing a good job?
    Ahoy Captain!
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No-IS: what is your reasoning?
    It adds to the hunting of the lens at times and just slows things down, albeit a millisecond, found I get better results with it off and also stops a small issue if you disconnect the body whilst the IS is engaged. Came out from a conversation with one of the Canon 'geeks' when discussing AF stuff. Also it appears the motor drive on say the new 500 is the same as the old one.

Glad you liked the tile seemed rather appropriate.

cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mid-Shipman Andre, I know you have seen this before. For me being so close you do need more DoF IMHO.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I agreed that having the Ox Peckers taking off is pretty cool. The tree right behind the rhino is not ideal, but you couldn't ask he rhino to move so easily. I also agree with you on the F8 for this close. If you had time and remember it, certainly experimenting with the aperture does not hurt, but often time we do not have time. In this case, I don't think it would make much difference regarding the bG. Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I remember this guy and the light was already harsh as it was late after a long morning. You handled it well and the line of oxp is a nice bonus. I don't remember even noticing them at the time. I like the shadows of the birds on the body. It would have been great to zoom in on one of those for a frame. Appropriate title.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It would have been great to zoom in on one of those for a frame.
    Think you would need the 800 for that Rachel, thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, good detail showing up on the big fellow, and although you captured the Oxpeckers nicely, as they have taken off, I actually like their shadows on the Rhino's hide better. You sure nailed the sharpness. Well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve interesting your thoughts and new WF regarding IS or not , what did the Canon Geek told you , if you have time drop me more info on that please .
    I would make maybe sense to me for fast moving subjects ...... but i think the Nimitz is not a speed boat , at least not in this image .

Like this image of this big unit for its technical execution , well framed and lovely processed , what makes the difference are for sure the OP who started in a very nice row for you . Sometimes one just needs some little luck .
    So you did well in getting this frame.

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Typical light for many rhino sightings Steve .
    I dig the oxpeckers taking off in sequence, nice!
    Nicely framed overall, given the trees in the BG too.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- pretty late on this , but like Stu I also liked the shadows of the OP on the Rhino, and very nicely processed as always. TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very cool shot Steve, neat that the birds were captured inline. Personally, I try to avoid images of animals with a lot of sky in the bg, as I think this can be distracting.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

I am very, very late here, my apologies...

Just like you, I approach every rhino with humility - they are becoming a rare species to photograph and it seems inconceivable that they might disappear forever, although a possibility...This is a very special sighting, what a beautiful specimen in its natural environment, he seems highly alert and maybe somewhere behind a nearby bush there is a thing, probably with fur, perhaps with a tail, stalking among the foliage? Hopefully not a human stalker, but this is what my mind paints this very moment...

Well exposed and wonderful detail, love the oxpeckers (they add interest to the whole scene), well framed and presented and the colours very natural - IMO techs are 100%, this is one spot of time as it can be experienced in Nature, as worthy of precise remembrance as any of the Big 5...we lost about 450 rhino in South Africa this year so I hope this chap is still alive dear Steve, I hope he lived to wallow in the mud this morning, I also hope those thorn bushes surrounding him are hostile enough to humans...Nice to see a rhino in a clearing, one that is so lively and wandering about, in its presence you were likely to experience a sense of the unreal, one of survival, despite the circumstances...Thank you Steve, I enjoyed this sighting, perhaps as much as you did

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea