Thread: Curious George - Portrait or Environmental?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Curious George - Portrait or Environmental?

Attached Images Attached Images

In my last thread http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ead.php/128873 , some asked whether I had photographed the Eastern Screech Owlets up closer. Here's the bravest of the 2 peering out into the afternoon sun. You can see that he had to adjust his pupils to the heavy light. I personally prefer the smaller in the frame image. More and more I find myself focusing less on full frame portraits and more on small in the frame and behavior images. They mean more to me, and I enjoy telling stories with my images whenever possible. I would suggest that once you've achieved your portraits, look for other opportunities and consider backing up and/or removing your teleconverters.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L & 2.0 TC @ 1000mm
    F10, 1/1000sec, ISO 800, manual mode
    Feisol tripod, Jobu head

I'd really like to know which image you prefer and why. Thank you in advance for your comments and critiques.
    Last edited by Marina Scarr; 12-05-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both images Marina. This, for the detail and the close-up of the cute owlet. The other for showing the birds in their environment in a very pleasing composition.
    For me, all different angles work, as they all tell a different story. And when you look at them all, the picture is about as complete as can be.
    I usually take the environmental type shots first, if I can and make sense of the surroundings and have the bird(s) in an aesthetically pleasing spot, pose or nice and appealing surroundings. Then I get closer, and closer, and closer until I can sense from the animal that it is still comfortable or not, in the latter case I carefully retreat so I don't stress them for the sake of a photograph.
    This image certainly has a place in the nature photography portfolio of any photographer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like them both too, and both have their place. It's fun to have a variety of images and perspectives to get the full picture. What I like about this closer view is the interesting textures of the tree bark.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The two images together make the basis for a very good 'photo essay' and this one is wonderful. The contrast between angular bark and the rounded fluffy chick is really good. And then there are what I presume are the 'ganwing marks' where the owl (or previous resident?) has enlarged the hole.
    The contracted pupils give the little thing an expression somehere between bewildered and very forebearing of life's irritations.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Marina,

This is just delightful! I have not seen the other image yet - will surely take a look, you stirred my curiosity:)

I must say Mike's comment above (last sentence) really sums it up for me - what lovely expression from your subject here!!! Superb capture, it all works so well, love the composition and presentation, congratulations!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image again Marina. All been said above. I really love those sad looking eyes. Great work

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The full tree is cool, but the fact that all the environment is so out of focus some how bothers me, it just doesn't make sense. Was it a stitch?
    I like this one too, but it is really not a fair comparison, and the 2 images are so completely different.

With this one, I like how you off-centered the head of the owl., also very nice environment too., more "real"?

take care.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Barlow View Post
    The full tree is cool, but the fact that all the environment is so out of focus some how bothers me, it just doesn't make sense. Was it a stitch?
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Raymond. No, the small in the frame image was not a stitch. I took off my converter, stepped back quite a bit, and used a straight 500. The final image was only a slight crop.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A pleasing image Marina. Those constricted pupils really help set the scene. I must have missed the other post, I will give it a look.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one better.
    Better light and more intimate feeling.
    This one made me smile as well. Just gives a good feeling,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the 2 frames tell the complete story. Each photo stands on its own merits but the two together are greater than the sum of their parts.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fully agree that both images have their place and each one stands on its own merits. Echo all the positives above. Very nice work Marina.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely camouflage !!
    Magnificent image of cute little one.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina, lovely image. The peek a boo look of the youngster tells the story of a curious George. Stand alone, this image is more captivating to me and draws me to the owl's eyes and expression. The dark hole above him gives good separation with the nice texture of the bark. But agreed with others that the two together tell a complete story. Good advice regarding backing up and taking off the TCs. TFS. Loi