Thread: Little owl - Hunting

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl - Hunting

Attached Images Attached Images

As promised Gabriela

Just stepping up the game now for me and doing more challenging/enjoyable work with this ongoing project, as these guys are out in the open hunting in the tall grasses of the field close to the nest sight. They still take the 'easy' option of using the milk churn and hay bales as landing/hunting spots, but this is what they do best, swoop and strike in an instant. Not always that easy, as they twist, bank, glide and turn so quickly, all subject to what they hear and the wind direction, hence as I said, this is challenging, especially if you have a 'contrasty' backdrop and with something that moves like a jet fighter. This area has always been 'rich pickings' and the Barn owl still quarters here, but incredibly sensitive to the shutter going off, so for the time being, these guys are the prime subjects.

The two main issues I have are, and to add a little more background to the thinking:
    - In these senarios I wanted to shoot 'wider' to provide more environment/habitat, avoiding the more tighter portait style images, so in this, I want to retain all 'image content' i.e. not remove/crop the sky or subdue the yellow rape field.

- By shooting wider it also gives me a larger area to track & focus, however saying that, I do think I have a 'workaround' solution which I was exploring just before leaving the site.

Sadly I won't be going back for a while as I'm off now to warmer climates today and some R&R, perhaps even coupled with some diving, so will try and implement any feedback on my return. Although I will take some kit, so may grab some Avian subjects, who knows .

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) hunting, mid afternoon, side on, strike pose, in meadow field
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/8 ISO3200
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop
    Processed: LR6 2015 & PSCC 2015

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mate, this is fabulous. Would love it higher in the frame with more grass, but if that's not possible, this is fantastic as is.
    Really nice to read the way you go about taking the shots too.

Very nicely done! Enjoy the trip Steve!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, many thanks.

I did say in my last thread to you I would try and post something new from the 'awesome' (well in my eyes, LOL) session from last time. I know where you are coming from and I already pre-planned something, but perhaps not quite answering your thoughts fully as the other 1Dx was set up for that. If I can I may at some point post off site or wait till I get back???

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mate, I'd love even such low-light session with Aussie owls. Can't wait to see more of your pix mate!
    Take care!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve it's got a hover almost like a Kestrel and certainly got it's eye on something, it's another great looking image, recon your getting more air miles than me, have a great trip.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting image Steve but im afraid I don't agree about them swooping and striking as what they do best ,in fact they can be very lazy and they spot voles field mice etc they would just sit it out and just drop on them ,very much like the barn owl would do, chasing beetles and worming is what they do best using there talon to clean the worm of soil I image worthy of seeing just for the way they do it ,I am not trying to be funny but the info on saying swooping and striking is what they do best ,IMHO is not correct.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

'Figurative' speech Dennis.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I have been photographing these guys for a while now, so know how tough it is to get one hunting. They are just incredibly fast for me. The bright yellow of the fence in the BG is a bit of a distraction, but what can you do. TFS. Loi

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve

This is just awesome, I briefly saw your post yesterday on my laptop (at work) and was hoping to view properly from home, never managed to get near the computer though. Will do so this afternoon and give you my thoughts as well.

Hope you have a wonderful, happy week-end... you made my day, LOL - I am smitten with this character
    Gabriela Plesea

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve...this is MY OWL, right?

Just kidding, been following your project from some time now and I feel quite close to your little owls - those wise looking little fellows provided you with amazing opportunities and you certainly made the best of them, capturing special moments and such interesting aspects of their behaviour. I have learnt so much about their lives, surviving skills, mating behaviour, and how they raise their young:)

To my surprise, while browsing the Internet to find out more I also discovered that a group of owls is called a " parliament"...would like some explanation to that!?

This particular image emphasises the size of this owl's eyes in comparison with the body - I love the concentration, the focus, those talons closing up and about to grab something down there in the tall grasses... If this image was mine the title would be "Twist, Bank and Glide"...It took many months of watching them and getting close I am sure, I gather they are quite comfortable with your presence and nowadays allow you into their world - this is so special Steve, so unique, such a privilege.

Love the vertical crop, goes well with the "pounce" or "dive" - this is a moment in time well captured, the owl's eyes are fixed on the prey, be it a mouse or a vole or a small bird (would love to know). Subject stands out beautifully against that soft BG, great techs, well processed and presented, and really exciting in terms of content - congratulations Steve, and THANK YOU

Warmest regards, hope you have a great holiday!
    Gabriela Plesea