Thank You Posts

Default Old cock bird.

Attached Images Attached Images

Cock pheasant.
    Nikon D4
    Nikon 300ml 2.8
    1/5000@ F9
    ISO 3200.
    Bird got a bit up close for a prime lens but I liked what I got, would be very interested to know your thoughts regarding the" Reds ",still not sure on the calibration of the monitor that I recently purchased, looks ok for a cock bird in breeding condition but would very much like the views of others.

Thanks for taking a look and your interest on my Kestrel post much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this, it looks like you startled the pheasant. Very nice and sharp with excellent detail. You also did well keeping some detail in the darks. An unusual pose, but it works for me. The only thing I'd do is remove those bits of plant above the left wing tips.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Keith I see you've been out and about, great, nice to take advantage of the breaks in the weather.

I really like this, personally I don't have a problem with the clipped wing and I'm surprised that even at 1/5000 you haven't frozen the action, which IMHO has added to the overall look & feel, nice impact. Love the curl of the wing tip on the RHS. Nice rich chest plumage, but not sure if you have opened up the shadow areas, looks a tad noisy in there??? Great to see you pushing the ISO, well done! I think you just got away with the horizon cutting through the head, but the environment looks spot on and some nice soft colours, just been in the same environment for the last 4 days. He looks a happy fellow, especially with the beak slightly open and I think the body angle is good. I might and subject to your own ethics, remove the flowers intersecting the RH wing tip, if you need help, let me know.

Overall I think you did well and hope you enjoy the new monitor, make sure you have it set up correctly.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Keith. I love the comp. Feather details are nice and he gave you a great pose. Good work

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Will, Steve you don't miss a trick ( shadow areas, looks a tad noisy in there) did give it a tiny bit, pleased you pointed it out, how does the red look?

Cheers Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Keith, it reminds me of the cocks that roam the streets of the Key West old city (the begin crowing just before sunrise). Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you don't miss a trick
    LOL, you just see the signs Keith. If you have mastered more since we last spoke then I could suggest a nice bit of software you could try which may help, let me know as it dovetails with PS.

how does the red look?
    Keith, I'm having to use the laptop as I'm away, but you could bring a bit more Saturation up, or use Selective colour, the issue you have is if you bring Saturation up it starts to choke the detail and make the image more Disney Colour in part, this is where using Adjustment Layers/masks comes into play. But yes, if the red was a little more 'richer' it could work?

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unusual pose which works well for me, lovely colours and detail on the feathers. I see pheasants every day in this part of Norfolk and the reds look OK to me. The only slight nit I have is the position of the horizon bu no big deal.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Keith, the colours look good to me. Some of the darkest areas are dark ...but then they would be wouldn't they, as Steve suggest there may be a little more detail to be had but I suspect not too much without introducing artifacts.
    I like the angle and the foliage is ok with me because it all seems so natural - a genuine close up as it were.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

THe crop is a very subjective thing. For me, if it were mine, not having the whole body/wings in the frame would mean I'd crop much tighter. The curved line created by the different background tones behind the head draws my eyes to it.
    Love the sheen on the feathers and the calling pose. :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a great pose and I have no problem with wing being cropped (for me it gives a sense of the bird coming at you from out of left field) and the movement in the tips of the wings really adds to it as a picture of bird behaviour.

On my monitor the reds are just about OK though above he eye it maybe showing the hint of clipping - all other colours are excellently represented.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice close up shot of this beauty, Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to you all much appreciated, Jonathan(Some of the darkest areas are dark ...but then they would be wouldn't they, as Steve suggest there may be a little more detail to be had but I suspect not too much without introducing artifacts) some times the more I try to improve bits it seems to give other problems if you see what I mean.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the sharpness, feather details and open beak. I either see them running away down a trail or almost step on them in a field. Well done Keith.