Thread: Holster bg for 100-400 II and 7D II

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Holster bg for 100-400 II and 7D II

I've been really enjoying the 7D2 with the 100-400 II, as an easily-transported and handheld alternative to the 300 f/2.8, or the 600 on a big tripod. It's great for larger, slower birds in flight and comes close to being a 400mm macro, with close focus spanning 2.75 inches horizontally. Its light weight is great for long walks, but carrying any rig gets awkward after a while. I've always liked my Lowepro holster bag on a waist belt for my 70-200 f/2.8. But I wanted to find a bag that fits the 100-400 with the hood in place, for quick draw. The Think Tank Digital Holster 50 v2 seemed to be the closest, but looked tight.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ter-50-v2.aspx

So I called them to find out if it would work. They said they had heard it would but weren't absolutely sure. They saw by my caller ID that I was local and asked if I would be willing to bring it by and let them have a look. I did and it does fit. It's a little tight (and wouldn't work with the battery pack or a pro body). Removing the rain cover from its side pouch gave a little extra room for the tripod foot.

I got one and it's good -- very well-made with pockets for extra batteries and cards. And I'm sure it will stretch a little with the use it will get, like a good pair of boots.

2. Thanks David Stephens thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Correction -- I just realized it will fit a pro body or battery grip, but not one with a L-bracket.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a Carry Speed Prime Edition shoulder harness. It has a wide well padded shoulder part.
    It is very secure, even if the gear falls apart you won't drop the camera or the lens as both have been individually secured.
    Unfortunately the company went out of business so they won't provide spare or replacement parts, should you need one.
    I know a few people who carry their 500 lens on it, no problem.
    Last edited by Karl Egressy; 05-07-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just tried the Spyder system with the new 100-400 and I have to say it felt pretty solid on my hip and there was easy access. I feel this rig is just too heavy to have hanging from my shoulder and it bounces around too much.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you mean this one? http://spiderholster.com/

That looks interesting. I'm using the bag on my old LowePro belt, which isn't the most ideal interface. I like the idea of a bag, but also want a hip belt. This lens (and similar-sized long zooms) is getting big for one if you want to carry it with the hood attached.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was looking into the cotton carrier system. It seems like that would work well with the 100-400mm with a 7d II and grip attached. You could also hang a bag off the belt. Anyone have any experience with it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Do you mean this one? http://spiderholster.com/

That looks interesting. I'm using the bag on my old LowePro belt, which isn't the most ideal interface. I like the idea of a bag, but also want a hip belt. This lens (and similar-sized long zooms) is getting big for one if you want to carry it with the hood attached.
    Yes Diane. Chas Glatzer uses one and I tried it. It was more comfortable than I had anticipated. Of course it doesn't work if you are sitting or lying down. I don't think there's any perfect solution. I have never found a bag or system of any kind that I loved.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thought I answered this, maybe from my iPhone, but it doesn't show. I got one and find it very convenient and comfortable. Have even used it for walks with the 300f/2.8 + 1.4X, but would be very careful of stress on the lens and TC attachments.