Thank You Posts

Default Mew Gull

Attached Images Attached Images

Attachment 150812

Canon 70D
    Tamron 150-600 at 500mm, F7.1
    shutter speed 1/1250
    ISO 800

Taken at one of our Vancouver Island coastal lagoons. The tide is coming in over mud flats next to a salt marsh. The tide times that day weren't good and the bird was facing directly into the sun at mid-day resulting in difficult light. I chose a fast shutter speed because the gull was walking quickly in the shallow water. Suggestions welcome for what I might have done to make it a better shot - apart from being able to choose a day with more favourable tides.

Steve Smith
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-29-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I enjoy the colored peaceful water and the movement of the subject....the image quality is not the greatest and certainly could be better considering the gear....how much of a crop? There are also some strange looking processing things going on, for example, in the bird's head in the reflection there is an odd blotchy area, and up behind the bird in the upper right portion of the frame there appears to be clone marks or some type of visible processing marks. The catchlight looks very "post processed"....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Shawn,

Very accurate comments. You have settled two arguments that I have been having with myself - about when hand holding my Tamron lens works and when it doesn't - and about when cloning out garbage is more distracting than the original garbage.

Thank you.