Thread: Snowy Owl, Perched Among the Unwieldy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl, Perched Among the Unwieldy

Hello! This "perch" may be too monstrous for some. I've been fond of it for years and for years I have wondered "But will I ever see anything perched atop?" You can imagine my delight upon espying this lovely beast, who tolerated a slow and careful approach and was not as skittery as the others I've met.
    I thank you in advance for your considerations!

Canon 7D, 100-400 at 400mm, iso1600, 1/250, 5.6

Name:  donuts.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  394.7 KB

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

oh boy!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"The perch is hideous and I can't believe you'd even post a picture like this! There are other problems, too!"
    -- everyone on this forum except for me

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I didn't think it was that bad. Looks like a big tree broken down by a wind storm and the owl just recently landed on it. He looks Nice and sharp with good I contact. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

perch is not all that bad. like the pose and the sharpness.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm only teasing, birdfriends. I can't help myself! Anyhow, it's the first day of Spring, yes? One month 'til warblers...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible to be able to get that close! Very nice image quality and tonalities, with the white bird standing out from the white sky. Of course, I'd crop from the bottom and left to just leave the diagonal piece.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jack, You have a nice Sharp Snowy, and he is giving you a good look, Excellent you were able to get so close. Your set up is quite large, I would crop as suggested by Diane.
    Robert Kimbrell

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is the furthest thing from a setup, that's for sure. Actually I did manage to inch a little closer and take pictures with less of the tree, but by then the light was rather low. I will post one of those puctures later. Many thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I appreciate your help very much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack.... Although I am a bit late to the party here.... firstly, I truly enjoy your individual approach to your photography, as well as the accompanying commentary! (really loved the study on the Trumpeters!) If you don't mind, I will provide a bit of feedback on this one (since I've now studied it for a few days...) Perch: PLUS... with reservations.... a lovely study in texture and lines.... BUT... gosh, there is a nice bird there too. That wad of log stuff at the front center really draws me from the lovely Snowy. (the little glob of weird wirey stuff at the lower left is a bit of a bugger too... but not real bad.) Owl: Give her a bit more predominance here, so she is not competing with the logs. Beautiful pose, stunning eyes, great detail. Always a total THRILL to find one of these beauties perched on something OTHER than a power pole! (and, might be my eyes, but looks like it's a bit "magenter-ish" at the top 20% of the frame.) All that said, I am looking forward to MORE! TFS!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much Sandy, I appreciate your encouraging words. I do realize that this particular picture is of two separate (complimentary?) subjects, which is just fine, if perhaps a little bit confusing, as maybe the two subjects are fighting for dominance. In any event: more later!

12. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Jack! Subjects are comlementary to a degree... To my "eye" (as poor as it may be)... the perch has won the fight for dominance....but with a bit of mitigation, could "submit".
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.