Thread: Great Blue Heron

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image two days ago next to a local river, and a favorite haunt of Great Blue Herons. Almost feeling like Spring here in central NJ, 30˚F / -1˚ C, thought I would give this often abundant avian location a visit. After an hour with no luck, as I was packing up my gear and as often happens, birds started coming in including a resident pair of Mute Swans with a flyby no more than 4 feet directly overhead. I'll post some of those captures soon. C&C welcome.

D700, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/1250, f 32, ISO 200, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, I like these high placed subjects, and the silhouette works well showing off the open bill, and wind swept plumage. If its not against your ethics, I would remove the twigs on the LHS, and lower frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, the sky b/g is a lovely muted colour which I like a lot, real artistic silhouette ,great job.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very evocative shot from our local spot. Nicely done. Good thing you didn't leave just a few minutes earlier.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very, very nice, Geoffrey. Love the wing swept feathers/crest and the open bill. I like the stark, leaf-less branches - add to the mood of the image. Well seen and executed.
    There appear to be quite a few small dust spots that I would evict.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pose, perch, and gloomy BG all look excellent. Not crazy about the extra twigs at left, and not sure you needed those particular techs? F/32 sure gave you lots of dust bunnies to contend with...

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Kodikal View Post
    Very, very nice, Geoffrey. Love the wing swept feathers/crest and the open bill. I like the stark, leaf-less branches - add to the mood of the image. Well seen and executed.
    There appear to be quite a few small dust spots that I would evict.
    Thank you, Sidharth. Thanks also for spotting what look to be dust spots, in actuality small bits of feathers shaken loose by the wind. I thought I had evicted all of them, but your keen eye has found more that I will attend to. Originally I was going to leave them in, but they did resemble small dust spots.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Pose, perch, and gloomy BG all look excellent. Not crazy about the extra twigs at left, and not sure you needed those particular techs? F/32 sure gave you lots of dust bunnies to contend with...
    Thanks, Daniel. I'm assuming you're referring to the small bits of feathers shaken loose I missed, also mentioned by Sidharth.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I dunno Geoffrey, I suppose there may be some bits of feathers there but that sure looks like the same thing I got when I took some slow-shutter speed images stopped way down a few years ago. I was aghast at the amount of dust that was not apparent at wider apertures. Take a photo of the clear sky at f/32 and see what you get.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey