Thread: Fort De Soto Park in January

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fort De Soto Park in January

I have a chance to drive next week, or the week after, from the Merritt Island area (Space Coast) to Fort De Soto state park. I know it's at its best in April/May, but don't know whether it's worth the long drive to photograph birds during the last two weeks of January. I'm interested in just about any species of bird, large or small. I can stay a couple of days in the Tampa/St. Pete area. I presume it would be better for a photographer during the week, rather than on weekends.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and possibly your experience if you've been there at this time.

Thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All the residents should be there, so you'll see and shoot herons, egrets, storks, spoonbills, rails, osprey, etc. It'll be too early for lots of mating behaviors and nesting and chicks, but if you don't already have lots of adult shots, then it could be worth the trip. The weather is much better, in terms of heat, at this time of year.

3. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fort DeSoto rarely disappoints even at the end of January. If you are having great luck over on the East Coast, maybe you'll want to reconsider. If things aren't so hot over there, you'll find the drive is probably worth the trip.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

5. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you that it is best to avoid week-ends as it can be crazy there (at least in April and May).
    Gail

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will be there next April (1st time). If you have recommendations about where to stay, let me know. Also all the positive/negative issues.
    I'll try to avoid the weekend.

What would be a nearby place to go during the weekend (April) that would not be so crowded ?

Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabio,
    There are all kinds of motels along the St Petes Beach Strip that are a 10 minute drive away from Fort Desoto. Easy to find accommodation in this area,
    Gail