Thread: Southern Sierra

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Southern Sierra

Attached Images Attached Images

I love atmospheric perspective. This one is thanks to the air pollution that piles up over the southern San Joaquin Valley, trapped by a ring of hills and mountains. Looking west from Sequoia NP.

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 at 70. ISO 400, f/19, 1/350 sec. We had gone up the trail to Moro Rock and I had carried the camera not expecting to shoot anything but a record shot of the view to the east in flat afternoon light. When I looked west I liked what I saw, but didn't think it was worth going back to the car for the tripod. In processing the pictures, this one grew on me, though. Lesson -- always take the tripod. It's good exercise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane...I Like this... Not so sure about the blue top edge, but don't have suggestions as what to do with it...B&W??? The road might bother the purists, luckily I am not one of those...

Regards

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thought about removing the road but kind of liked the flowing line. The blue is the (reasonably) clear air above the smog layer, which we don't usually see from down below, so I composed it in to tell the story. But maybe it isn't obvious to most viewers.

The whole scene would probably be more accurate in a pale sepia. The air was just ugly that day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Diane, i love this type of images... i like the layers and also the blue on the top. thus wouldn`t change nothing. At about a month ago while visiting one of my country moutains i ended up with a photo of this sryle, will post it soon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd love to see it!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice use of layers and light/atmosphere here Diane.
    I'd like to see this as a monochrome with a tad more punch/contrast (seeing as it's nearly monotone as presented anyway). I don't mind the road in these kinds of scenes.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, explaining the blue helps and if it tells a story then it should stay in the scene. Love the layering caused by the pollution. As an alternate to this version a B&W conversion would look stunning I think.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I've messed with a range of color alterations here. The best I can do and still preserve some idea that the top is sky, is to do some selective color work -- different amounts for the FG, mid-ground and sky. I like this version as it gets away from the strong blue cast of high-altitude mid-day light, at least a little.

And now that I see it here, it looks little on the greenish-cyan side. Will work on that but probably not worth a RP.

Always interested in other opinions, of course!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane. RP is much stronger I think....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk