All C & C greatly appreciated.
    Just trying to improve.

Thanks for looking

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey C M,

I like the colours, composition, and the shot seems to be in focus but it looks really soft to me. Did you use a lot of noise reduction? Maybe use noise reduction only on the background, if that's what you did :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice image but it's very soft. What was you processing? These days, that's as important as the camera settings, or more so.

I'd go back to the raw file and try to keep whatever sharpness you were able to capture. Noise reduction can be done later in PS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is raw picture, saved as "Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S".

Nothing done to photo.

Name:  GKD.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  396.0 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not familiar with that keyboard shortcut. What is your raw processor?

Also, you don't have a profile tagged for either image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here it is with a simple run through Nik's Detail Extractor at a low value, and then Nik's Sharpener. This isn't the way to do it, with detaillost in processing first, but I'm wondering if different processing could have revealed this detail. There is noise brought out, which shouldn't be removed early if it causes loss of detail. Was the original underexposed? It's always best to overexpose as much as possible without blowing out whites, and bring exposure down in processing. That will reduce noise dramatically compared to bringing up an underexposed image.

In a case like this, the noise doesn't really show on the bird and it can be reduced separately in the BG in PS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    I'm not familiar with that keyboard shortcut. What is your raw processor?

Also, you don't have a profile tagged for either image.
    Shortcut is Photoshop CS6 "save for web".

Raw processor is PS CS6

What is a profile tag? Is that the same as a Metadata file? If it is I have that posted above the top photo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS isn't a raw processor. You would mean Adobe Camera Raw, which comes with it but is a separate program. I'm wondering if the second JPEG you posted really reflects the original raw file with no parameters adjusted? It has the look of too much noise reduction, especially for a non-cropped image. But I'm not familiar with the characteristics of that camera -- they are all different. I'd be as careful as possible to get a single focus sensor right on the eye -- the best focus will help with detail, and gentle overexposure, without blowing out whites, will help reduce noise.

OK on the shortcut. That's where you didn't get the profile tagged. In Save for Web make sure both Convert to sRGB and Embed Profile are checked. They should be sticky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    PS isn't a raw processor. You would mean Adobe Camera Raw, which comes with it but is a separate program. I'm wondering if the second JPEG you posted really reflects the original raw file with no parameters adjusted? It has the look of too much noise reduction, especially for a non-cropped image. But I'm not familiar with the characteristics of that camera -- they are all different. I'd be as careful as possible to get a single focus sensor right on the eye -- the best focus will help with detail, and gentle overexposure, without blowing out whites, will help reduce noise.

OK on the shortcut. That's where you didn't get the profile tagged. In Save for Web make sure both Convert to sRGB and Embed Profile are checked. They should be sticky.

I take raw & jpg at the same time, this is the jpg photo.

It is just resize to meet upload, nothing else done to it.

Name:  _20141115_2160R.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  90.4 KB

As shot just resized

What do this tell us?

Thanks for all the ideals.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The in-camera JPEG has been processed by the camera according to whatever settings are in the menu. It doesn't accurately represent the raw file. Maybe you have too much NR set in the camera menu?

I hope you are using the actual raw file for your work. The JPEG may be useful for comparison -- or not -- depending on the settings. But -- honestly -- something just doesn't look right with this image. You may have hidden detail in the raw file that doesn't show here.