Thread: Meteora

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Meteora

Name:  DSC05557-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  202.2 KB

Sunset over Meteora. The scene was hard to work with, lots of light, contrast, and the color casts that came out were rather a pain to work with, so open to suggestions.

Sony A700, Tamron 70-300@135mm, F/5.6, Meteora in Greece, 2014

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dvir, I like the scene just the way it is but thought if the immediate foreground was given a slight lift in detail by using Nik's Detail Extractor it might add to the cliff and building. After applying a quick and dirty Detail Extractor to the scene I reduced the opacity of the layer to 50% and erased the effect from the distant hills and clouds. WDYT?
    Name:  DSC05557.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  349.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Andrew! I think I will play around with detail extractor and repost.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice image Dvir. I do like Andrews RP. This might be a candidate for on of those BW images where you leave the roof red..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love everything about this, Dvir. Great light, framing, use of the telephoto compression in the landscape, composition...all there
    Andrew's repost takes it up a notch.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dvir, I like both versions with a slight preference for the OP. This is a truly magical place and I think you caught just the right atmosphere to compliment it, with those sunrays just peeping from under the clouds. The color cast from the lens flare is indeed noticable, but not distracting and I think there is not too much you can do about it. I've tried many types of local adjustment to get rid of flares before, but hardly ever with much success.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry van Dijk View Post
    Dvir, I like both versions with a slight preference for the OP. This is a truly magical place and I think you caught just the right atmosphere to compliment it, with those sunrays just peeping from under the clouds. The color cast from the lens flare is indeed noticable, but not distracting and I think there is not too much you can do about it. I've tried many types of local adjustment to get rid of flares before, but hardly ever with much success.
    Thanks all for the comments! Yeah flare is hard to deal with, the Tamron handles flare relatively well, much better than the Canon 300/2.8 for example funny enough. I did a decent job if you see the original raw, that had all kinds of cyans, megentas, and blues all over the place.