Thread: Bison

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bison

Attached Images Attached Images

One from a late summer trip. Almost midday, but high, wispy clouds cut down on the contrast a little bit. It was a bit breezy and I liked the effect on the beard and neck fur (the buff's, not mine.) 5DMKII, 1-400L, f6.3, 1/640s, ISO400, HH, just a touch of a crop off the top, bottom, and right hand side (as viewed), processed with PSE10.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I added the Theme prefix since you got this in just before the end of the month (at least in the U.S.). I really like the comp with the trees on the distant hill and placement in frame. In fact, it all looks good to me. Nice light, good detail and sharpness. Great choice on the dof with the angled pose and good low pov too. Congrats on this one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I think Rachel summed things up very nicely.

Investing in the 5D was a great call, I think it's really elevated your images both in terms of the techs/IQ, but also PP too. The IQ is looking really good and the end result is a nice conclusion to the time put in, in capturing the subject. Those Mountain (Goats?) will really rock when given the opportunity to photograph them.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

I'm not really one to comment on your technique and exposure but I agree with Steve and Rachel.

Personally I really like the environment with the trees, pink flowers and rocks in the BG. It contributes to the calm and peaceful feel that the image gives off (at least that's what I feel). The fact that the bison is just standing there, quietly contemplating life also contributes to that mood.

Excellent work! TFS.

Nicholas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. I, too, like the wind-blown look plus you have pleasing light, good sharpness and detail on your subject, and a nice comp. You might consider cloning (or toning down) the smaller whitish rocks in the background as they are drawing my eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only echo that this looks great on all fronts, Steve. Good to have you posting regularly again!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for the comments and suggestions. As an FYI, the pinkish color in the BG is due to the changing prairie grasses.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done. I wonder if a little more Shadows adjustment might tone down the harsh light and improve the image a bit.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, this is really a nice stunner , like this a lot .
    The whole comp , tones and colors , very well done .Only thing i might think about is the hue of red fur, for me it has a slight magenta tendency , think it should look more brownish .But maybe i am wrong .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas & Andreas,
    Thanks for the look and comments. I'll take a look at both your suggestions.