Thread: Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

Attached Images Attached Images

I have persisted on this Earth for 47 years, and I get giddy like a kid at Christmas every time I come upon a Spoon-billed Sandpiper. The moment captured here was particularly memorable. Amid a flock of about 3,000 little scolopacids and plovers roosting inside the sea wall, this bird popped out. There couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 members of this endangered species in that flock, and somehow, I'd gotten face-to-face with one. It's deeply moving and unsettling to be 7 m away from a bird that has graced the Earth for millions of years and that will very possibly be gone in 20. I was at Yangkou in Jiangsu, China. Nikon D3S, 600 mm + 1.4x TC, F/10, 1/2500, ISO 1000. P.S. In January 2015, I'm temporarily setting aside my work in China and making a long-delayed trip back to my Florida roots. I'll linger in North America for a month or so. I'd like to shoot with some of you all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Craig I am a proud owner of a T'shirt with this bird on it, from a subscription I donated to, must have been really exciting to see the real thing.
    You have a really nice sharp image of this bird, the detail on the bill shows up very nicely ,icing on the cake would have been some light on the eye.

Keith.

3. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a privilege to get a shot like this I fully understand your delight - hope you celebrated accordingly! Super shot magic pose beautiful clean colours an absolute gem.

5. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

amazing shot, I have always had a special thing for that bird, so its amazing to see someone taking such a great shot of it.

7. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm in awe, not just that you've gotten to see this little treasure, but have gotten such a great shot of him. Love the raised foot, and lovely bg (although I wouldn't mind if the bright spot in the ULC weren't there). I suspect you don't want to monkey with this image, and rightly so, but it feels to me as if it could be warmed up slightly and become even better. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I stand in awe. I hope the work done to save the species will pay off. Such a bird should never become extinct but it is so close to the edge.

11. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastit bird! love the pose, light and details.

13. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an exquisite little sandpiper Craig and so beautifully portrayed here. I can imagine your joy with this one tucked under you belt

15. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wild looking little bird. Never seen anything like it. Looks like the Platypus of the small avian world. Nice frame with solid techs and details. Congrats on documenting this rarity.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

17. Thanks Craig Brelsford thanked for this post