Thread: Another Great Blue Heron, ruffled, preening

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Great Blue Heron, ruffled, preening

Attached Images Attached Images

This was a significant crop, but I couldn't help myself to try and give it a shot at PP anyway. Lacks detail and a bit noisy, but I didn't mess with the colors. I couldn't get the 2x installed before he walked back into the bushes. I was shooting wood ducks closer up when I walked forward and spotted him ruffling. I have similar images of a Green Heron from the same location some time back that I need to go look at again, Crystal Spring Rhododendron Garden in Portland, OR.

Canon 50D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, HH
    1/160, f/5.0, ISO 400, 200mm
    Overcast day, but bright.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice scene Jon! The focus is a little soft with quite a lot of noise on the bird itself (for ISO 400). Was this a heavy crop or did you raise the exposure somewhat in PP?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not the greatest at seeing color but it seems like there is a blue color cast here. I agree about the noise on the bird as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie Schalkwyk View Post
    Nice scene Jon! The focus is a little soft with quite a lot of noise on the bird itself (for ISO 400). Was this a heavy crop or did you raise the exposure somewhat in PP?
    As noted, it's a significant crop, by the time I got the 2x extender out, he walked back into the bushes. That's why pros carry 2 bodies. He was originally pretty small in frame. I had never seen one ruffled like that either, so I decided to crop and see what I could pull out in PP.

I don't know a lot about heron's, but when I turned the corner and saw him, I remember immediately thinking I've never seen one this blue before. It was very striking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

It is a nice preening pose, understand your desire to work on it. I also am seeing the blue cast that David mentioned. Depending on how busy the environment is, you could probably loosen your crop some to improve the IQ, and still have the bird a nice size in the frame.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

When you say you didn't mess with the colors, keep in mind that the camera can only guess at a white balance. The more monochromatic a scene, the less accurate the guess. Here's a quick suggestion, just a Color Balance moving the midtones toward yellow and a trace toward magenta. Always "question authority" in regards to WB.