Thread: Lady Slipper

Roman Kurywczak

Default Lady Slipper

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken yesterday at Bowmans Hill Pennsylvania.........was pretty windy and bright..............but this was in the forest............had to wait for breeze to stop as I was hand holding! The BG is a tree that was approx. 1 foot behind. Tried to use as much ambient light as i could to balance flash. Mark 3, sigma 180mm macro, mt 24 twin lights at minus 1 & 2/3 at ISO1250 at f16 and 1/60 sec. .......... handheld.........but elbow braced on the ground.

Robert O'Toole

The light is nice and the sharpness is good and I like the comp, the only thing that is a negative for me is the BG. Its noisey and a light colored spots distract.
    Did you try any WO or close to WO? I wonder if this would have helped smooth out the BG?

Wish the flower had a green meadow for a BG instead of the tree bark.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Robert,
    At about picture 50........I was wishing for the fake/real looking BG........forgot it at home! I also forgot to run noise ninja on the BG..........oops! They do usually grow in the forest........so this was the best BG I could come up with. Having a party.....probably won't be able to re-post with Noise NInja until later!

Ed Vatza

I was going to comment about the noise but that has been addressed. Otherwise, a very nice image. I also like the composition and the subject. I would reserve judgement on the tree background until I see a noise reduced version.

I am keeping an eye out for lady slippers but with no luck. I guess I should just head down to Bowman's although I seem to recollect seeing some at Peace Valley as well.

Mike Moats

Hey Roman, this is a subject with a lot of depth, so I think you did well getting it sharp while maintaining a decent BG.

Julie Kenward

I really am not bothered by the BG (except for the noise) because, to me, the twirl of the lady slipper's leaves basically have that same twirl pattern of the light/dark areas behind it. I think they make a decent match overall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did very well under the circumstances Roman. I was also wondering if you could have got away with less DOF to soften the BG more, but with a forward and behind leaf you probably needed every bit of F16 ;)

Roman Kurywczak

Default Noise Ninja Applied

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the image with Noise Ninja applied everywhere except yellow of the flower.