Thread: Moving over to the Creative Cloud?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Moving over to the Creative Cloud?

I have been perfectly happy using LR3 to import and catalogue my images; DPP3 to adjust and convert; PS4 to make fine adjustments and finish the images.

Changing to a 1DX has made LR3 obsolete, so I need to upgrade to LR5 or try to come to terms with using DPP to import and catalogue my files (Can it do that?).

Eventually, I found the capability to purchase LR5 standalone on the Adobe site and as a standalone it costs about 50% of one year's subscription to Creative Cloud. The amounts aren't great, but I don't want Adobe taking advantage of my good nature!.

So I am wondering whether or not to take the leap into CC?

What has the experience of other been? Has CC delivered on your expectations? I'd appreciate hearing from others.

Thanks,

Gerald

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

By PS4 do you mean CS4? I had CS6 and LR when the CC thing came out so I haven't upgraded PS. You'll find LR5 has some very nice features over 3. DPP can't catalog files. I know there are rabid fans of it here but I find LR's Develop module (same engine as ACR, with a much better interface, to me) be far superior. And I've tried it a number of times on many images, using the information on how to use it that can be found from sources here.

My advice would be to properly learn LR5's Develop capabilities, which are a significant improvement over LR3. Then compare to DPP to see what works for you. There is a landscape-oriented e-book by Micheal Frye that gives some good basics.
    For me, the organizational capabilities of LR, and its seamless interface with PS, are something I can't live without and far exceed Bridge. If you already have PS CS4, I would say stay with it until you see a need for further capabilities. They haven't really done a lot new in CC -- they are focused on the "creative content" crowd, and a large part of that would be the folks who create all those annoying ads you cant escape. The basics of PS haven't had earthshaking changes. I can't come up with a list off the top of my head of the changes but you can find comparisons for each version of what is new from the previous one.

3. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Gerald,

I would consider moving up to DPP4, it will give you the best of advanced features, speed and conversion quality with your 1DX and it's free.

In terms of PS, CC doesn't really offer much beyond CS6 for photographers.

good luck
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

5. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If your already used to LR I and CS4 does all you need as far as PS goes I would update to LR5 only
    I am waiting for Arash to finish up his new guide to DPP4 to see what it is capable of.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

7. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your responses and opinions. Good to get your feedback.

In fact, I found that it is PS5/CS5 that I have - hopeless at remembering version numbers! - and it does all I need.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours, Don. I have gone for the standalone version of LR5, and will change to DPP4 once I can get hold of the new Guide.

Thanks Dianne, I appreciate that LR has a lot to offer - I've been a LR user since version 1 and the new version is a pretty easy step on from LR3. So that is just fine.

Arash, I'm looking forward to getting your guide. I'm too lazy to do the hard learning on my own!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One thing to keep in mind is if in your workflow you go from LR5 directly into PS CS4 without first making a Tiff; you'll have a problem because CS4 won't be able to read your 1DX RAW files because ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) in CS4 won't be able to convert the 1DX RAW file. If this is one of the ways you bring files into PS CS4 then you'll need to upgrade to PS CS6 as ACR in CS6 can properly convert the 1DX files and you'll not have a problem. I've personally stayed away from the CC and will stay with CS6 as long as Adobe continues to up date ACR in CS6.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can import the 1DX files as DNG and they will be read, with the latest DNG coverter. Google it for download and directions. There is no loss with a DNG format.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are converting the raw in LR then it will import into PS as any file format you want from JPEG to PSD
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You folks are correct I should have said (and now have corrected in my first post) "without first converting from RAW to another PS format. I do many trips directly to PS CS6, without first converting the RAW image as ACR can convert the image on the fly when the image is opened in CS6".

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One thing to keep in mind is if in your workflow you go from LR5 directly into PS CS4 ​without first converting from RAW to another PS format. I do many trips directly to PS CS6, without first converting the RAW image as ACR can convert the image on the fly when the image is opened in CS6.You'll have a problem because CS4 won't be able to read your 1DX RAW files because ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) in CS4 won't be able to convert the 1DX RAW file. If this is one of the ways you bring files into PS CS4 then you'll need to upgrade to PS CS6 as ACR in CS6 can properly convert the 1DX files and you'll not have a problem. I've personally stayed away from the CC and will stay with CS6 as long as Adobe continues to up date ACR in CS6.[/QUOTE]

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure I understand your last post. You have LR5 now, and are still using PS CS5?? (You're talking about CS6 above...) That's fine -- no need to upgrade to CS6 unless you find it has some feature you want, and in that case you might as well dive into CC (now CC 2014).

But there is no need for "first converting from RAW to another PS format." When you open a raw file from LR into PS, it just opens -- no format is specified. You work on it and when you save it you have a choice of several formats. I like to keep files in the native .psd format, but .tif also works.

I was writing faster than I was thinking about DNG above -- the incompatibility with newer cameras comes up when LR or ACR are an older version and can't read the camera files. In that case you can convert them to DNG with a copy recent enough to decode raw the files. LR/ACR do some updates, but after some point you have to upgrade to a newer version of LR or PS cover new cameras.

If LR will read the 1DX raw files (and the current version of LR5 will) they should open in an older PS with no problem. You may get a message that the older ACR that accompanies the older PS can't read them (or words to that effect). Just go ahead and open anyway. With a LR workflow you don't ever need ACR. Ignore any messages about it.