Thread: Another Rhino celebration

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Rhino celebration

Attached Images Attached Images

I've had this one under ETL some time ago. Apologies for those who might already have seen it but hopefully it will reach some extra viewers under Wildlife, in support of World Rhino Day.

All C & C's welcome.

D600
    Nikkor 70-200mm VR f2.8 + TC14E II @ 250mm
    f/5.6 | 1/640s | ISO-800 | beanbag
    Last edited by Tobie Schalkwyk; 09-22-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie- Looks like tough lighting conditions with both heavy shade and dappled light. Also a busy habitat but we find them where we can. Nice sharpness and the color looks better than when you first posted it in ETL.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie, agree with Rachel, from my recollection this is an improvement from the OP. Personally I find it a little big in frame, perhaps not having the TC, or zooming out may have offered a better balance? The BKG does look a bit 'fuzzy' not sure why and doubt if it's heat haze/ISO. The dappled light and being in the shade has helped to a certain degree, controlling any hotspots/highlights. Like the three quarter posture and head to camera.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Tobie Schalkwyk thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Tobie, agree with Rachel, from my recollection this is an improvement from the OP. Personally I find it a little big in frame, perhaps not having the TC, or zooming out may have offered a better balance? The BKG does look a bit 'fuzzy' not sure why and doubt if it's heat haze/ISO. The dappled light and being in the shade has helped to a certain degree, controlling any hotspots/highlights. Like the three quarter posture and head to camera.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks steve - yep, the mix of shades and direct sunlight was a challenge with this one and this is the most I could get from it. I don't think zooming out would help because then you're going to have even more highlights against the darker animal. The 'fuzziness' apparently is sometimes a result of the TC14 according to some Google results. It's not always there or so obvious but sometimes it could be quite strong - it probably depends on the DOF applicable to each specific case.