Thread: Souther hawker ovipositing

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Souther hawker ovipositing

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L & 25mm ext tube, Auto ISO 1250 1/320 sec f11
    All C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You really made the most of your opportunities with this cooperative dragonfly, Jon! Yet another very cool behavioral image! I would wish that the wing wasn't crossing over the eye, but I love the reflection! I think this could stand a little CW rotation. Very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Jon, I really like it! My only suggestion for you to consider would be to crop off a little from the right side. Just enough to eliminate the blurred part at the upper right corner. Then everything important would be sharp.

Ron Conlon

A really wonderful, rich scene. The low angle, the symmetries, the intense background and interesting environment really combine for a wonderful almost unearthly effect.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this dragonfly presented me with many opportunities, I am pleased with the results but as your comments have indicated I never managed the ideal pose, at any one moment in time the wings were in the wrong place or the background wasn't ideal or the ovipositor was not visible etc. I am going to clear the pond of many plants this year hopefully not losing too many critters or eggs, I will try to find more homogeneous logs for next year too but finding a fairly dark yet rotten log isn't too easy.

Ron Conlon

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    ...I am going to clear the pond of many plants this year hopefully not losing too many critters or eggs, I will try to find more homogeneous logs for next year too but finding a fairly dark yet rotten log isn't too easy.
    Now that is investing serious thought, time and effort into a shot! Looking forward to next year's.

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot! Good sharpnes on the dragonfly, very nice reflection and the water in foreground looks great in my opinion. Agree about cropping a bit from right side. Excellent!

8. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post