Thread: Black Grouse - Ouch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Grouse - Ouch

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D800, ISO 1600, 500 mm @f/5.6, 1/500

The bird on the left has just attacked and is grabbing a bunch of feathers and pulling them out from the breast of his opponent. In the next few images he has them in his bill whereas the bird on the right has big bald, blody and probably sore spot on his breast. Trying to get mated is not for the meek (at least not if your a black grouse male ).

The white balance is still an issue - I think this is a fair representation of what it looked like. The sun is just coming up over the horizon and it snowed during the night. Temperature here was probably around freezing point.

Comments would be appreciated.

2. Thanks WillieHall thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Another version with a color balance adjustment layer dragging the blue towards the yellow a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mating habits are so varied and interesting. Great to catch the action!

Either WB works for me, with the OP giving a little more of a feel of the cold. I wonder if there's a little more detail to be found in the darks?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action shot, Svante! I'm so glad I don't have to get into a fight to convince my mate to be nice to me!

I actually love the colors in the OP - it's just a little softer and more appealing. I might have gone for a square crop here but that's not serious and a personal choice.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super timing, a tough call for me which is best, I like both versions, I think I prefer the plumage in the secong.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried to print a couple of these images and I don't like the results much.

The snow in shadow which looks OK on screen I think looks awful when printed. I really dislike the resulting blueish gray white result.

Any tips on reasonable work-around ?!?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Svante Larsson View Post

The snow in shadow which looks OK on screen I think looks awful when printed. I really dislike the resulting blueish gray white result.

Have you tried using levels and applying the black and or white dropper?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You could try reducing the blues with a hue-sat adjustment layer (not an adjustment on a pixel layer copy) on your master file. An adjustment layer is editable as you explore the best settings for printing. If it changes the birds too much, just mask it out over them. Then turn the layer on for printing and off for web export. (You could name the layer something like print correction.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice exposure on the reds. I would do some NR on the wings of the bird on the right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Svante Larsson View Post

How are you printing? The problem may be with the print not being accurate. There are a lot of pitfalls in printing, but if done right it will accurately reflect the screen, assuming that is a good representation of the actual file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane,

Thanks but I think my chain from screen to printer is calibrated so no problem there. I am printing on an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 using Qimage (which I highly recommend - nowadays I do not do any print sharpening since I think Qimage handles the output sharpening excellently by itself).

I think the real problem with the snow in shadow is that on a monitor you get a completely different view ("backlit" (?)) feeling than on paper (it might differ depending on paper - I printed on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta and I didn't experiment with other paper). In the end I did what you suggested above with a hue-sat adjustment layer.

/Svante

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like you are doing it the right way, with a great printer, and that's a wonderful paper. Monitors do give a different look than paper -- I think over the years I have just calibrated my brain to the differences. Even the most experienced printers with dialed-in systems will do test prints and tweak the file as needed. John Paul Caponigro emphasizes the need to do that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is truly a special capture with great action/behavior!!!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pow, right in the kisser!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.