Thread: Oxpeckers on Buffalo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Oxpeckers on Buffalo

Name:  IMG_7188-Edit-Edit-4.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  381.1 KB

I thought these guys were kind of cute and fascinating -- always looking up. And the big brutes they feasted on seemed to welcome them.
    Taken at Mala Mala Game Reserve, South Africa.

Canon 6D
    Zeiss 80-200 @200mm HH and manual focus from stationary vehicle, early morning
    1/2000 ISO 320 f/5.6 or f/8 (don't recall which)
    Crop/highlights/shadows/blacks adjustment in LR
    Topaz ReMask to separate FG from BG. Guassian blur and dropped curves on BG. Light application of smart sharpening and Focus Magic on FG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! Do you have more of the image on the left? It feels a little crowded there with the 2 OOF birds close to the edge.

I'd play with WB in LR -- it seems a little on the magenta side. I usually compare Auto and As Shot -- then tweak from there. The presets are usually awful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Diane. Problem is there are more birds on the left so I tried to balance the shot by cropping them out and fading the others toward the background. An attempt at a save, I suppose.

I have others and may come back to this one. Right now I'm taming lions over in Wildlife. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliant concept. The light and the color of the birds are a beautiful combination. I wonder if the focus is on the hair of the buffalo, rather than the bird's eye?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can we see the full frame original please?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.