Thread: Buff-bellied Hummingbird resting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Buff-bellied Hummingbird resting

Nikon D90, 1/200 sec. at f / 29, ISO 1600, 70-300 lens.

Taken yesterday at patio door.

Name:  Buff-B_HB_F.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  337.3 KB

All C & C greatly appreciated.
    Just trying to improve.

Thanks in advance for looking

C M

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

CM,

The image seems on the soft side to me. I am not sure if it is my monitor or not. I assume you were at f29 to try to kill all or most the ambient light in the background and you used flash. I am wondering why you chose iso 1600 for this shot?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Several problems here. The bird is very underexposed compared to the BG -- you'll need to use flash in a case like this, but that will give a harsh look unless you can diffuse it and get it off-camera. The bird is also very soft -- why f/29? You'll get diffraction softening above probably f/13 on a crop body.

And a bird against a feeder isn't going to give a pleasing image -- but maybe you were only asking about the technical specs.

I'd have gone for maybe f/11, a lower ISO and faster SS. Are you shooting in some sort of P mode? I'd at least be in Av for shots like this, where aperture is a major decision you'd like to control.

For a good image you need to control (or choose the best) light and the camera settings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In addition to all the technical and logistical problems noted above the poor bird's bill is a mess.... You might try setting up a natural perch near the feeder with a better BKGR and light angle.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.