Thread: Leopardess sunrise descent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopardess sunrise descent.

Attached Images Attached Images

The leopardess Furaha leaping down to a gorgeous sunrise background,
    most wildlife photographers know just how difficult that is to get those two combinations to come together, sometimes....not all the time, with a lot of patience one is rewarded!

My initial concept for this image was just a straight silhouette against the dawn sky, upon review I found that opening up the shadows just enough revealed the backlit front paw which made all the difference here,
    too much shadow detail would leave noise, so it became a balance of adjustments using dodging & burning, curves/levels in ACR & PSCC.
    Could I have included more lower room, yes, and I do have more but it was just a dark scrub mass and the comp became unbalanced for my liking, but would be interested to hear your thoughts.

D700 80-400 AF-S f/4.8 1/2500s ISO3200@ 105mm, cropped approx 20% for comp, NR on sky.

Ruaha Nat Park- Tanzania.

C & c most welcome

Cheers
    Marc

2. Thanks WillieHall thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- I love this, especially the backlit paw and that you lifted a bit of the shadows in the leopard and tree - adds much more context IMHO. If I was to tweak anything, I would see if I can add a bit more space to the left side (maybe content aware / add canvas if you do not have the space in frame) and maybe add a tiny bit more saturation to the colors in the sky, but these are really minor things. Awesome capture!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as is Marc,

Lifting of shadows further not needed IMO, the mood is great and there's enough detail on the subject as well as colour, all of which enable the viewer to establish an emotional connection with the scene. One of your best images

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed this Marc, as your almost-namesake mentioned above the hint of detail makes it, the timing and comp for me are spot on - that lala palm is perfectly placed.

PS: Do you have one with the leopard slightly higher in the frame?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mark, Gabriela & Morkel.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    PS: Do you have one with the leopard slightly higher in the frame?
    I do but with the previous frame she has all 4 still clinging to the bark and her tail is pointing under the body and back toward the tree, giving the impression of a 5th leg!

Plus this one which I submitted a while back: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ise?highlight=

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc,

This is a lovely image and I'm sure takes years of practice to do it well. I think you gave just enough details on the leopard to make it interesting without raising the noise. For an image like this, I would not mess around with adding canvas, it is precious as is. Like Morkel, an image with the leopard slightly higher would have been better from the composition viewpoint, but you know that already. A little more space below may make it more balance, even if it is "just a black mass" IMHO, but until we see the FF image, hard to say. For future, may be a 70-200f2.8 would have been a better tool to have, not sure if you own such tool though. TFS. Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - nicely captured and I too like the amount of detail. I am another one wishing the leopard was a bit higher on the tree but I know how difficult these shots can be to capture. Usually when I am set and waiting for the dismount at the last second the leopard decides to go down the backside of the tree.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Loi & Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Loi Nguyen View Post
    For future, may be a 70-200f2.8 would have been a better tool to have, not sure if you own such tool though. TFS. Loi
    Good point Loi, and yes I do have the 70-200 f/2.8, (and is my choice for night spot lit stuff) but I'm leaning more toward the new 80-400 these days, I take 3 bodies with me when in Africa, the D4+500, the D3s+80-400 and the D700+24-70 f/2.8, and switch between the 80-400 and 70-200 on the D3s.
    So ideally the 70-200 2.8 would have been the better choice here, but with the D3s, noise is far more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Usually when I am set and waiting for the dismount at the last second the leopard decides to go down the backside of the tree.

TFS,
    Rachel
    So very true Rachel, it's often a 50/50 guess.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very special picture which some us us are dreaming of, Marc! I just love it - just enough detail on the leopard, a perfect mid-action freeze.

Interesting that you've taken it with the D700 - I would have opted for the D3s for the best (I reckon!) noise handling purposes. I'm just wondering if the 'D700' is a spelling mistake because you've stated later on that you usually mount the 80-400 onto the D3s.

Nicely done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tobie

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie Schalkwyk View Post
    This is a very special picture which some us us are dreaming of, Marc! I just love it - just enough detail on the leopard, a perfect mid-action freeze.

Interesting that you've taken it with the D700 - I would have opted for the D3s for the best (I reckon!) noise handling purposes. I'm just wondering if the 'D700' is a spelling mistake because you've stated later on that you usually mount the 80-400 onto the D3s.

Nicely done!
    Good pickup Tobie, this was taken with the D700 (I always rename each file starting with the camera used) and was just before I purchased the D4, the D3s and 80-400 now partner each other.

Just to say the D700 is still no slouch in the noise dept, just below the D3s in my book.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc , very nice shot of the descent , with lovely colors in the sky .Just the right amount of detail in the shadow areas .Good timing to get this shot .
    Personally i think in a real nice world the cat should sit higher in the frame , too close to the bottom for me .

Ps : i like the blue /purple color in the tree .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post

Ps : i like the blue /purple color in the tree .

TFS Andreas
    Yes, it looks terrible and sent an earlier file by mistake, so I do agree with you on this occasion and I did notice this too late unfortunately to re-edit.

Have fixed this now:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Marc , i am surprised , but good call on this RP .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is awesome...I love it. Cant add much more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, I haven't read all the comments but my own view is that this Has taken exceptional skill to capture and the result is absolutely beautiful. I especially like the lifted paw..

Regards
    Don