Thread: Blue Grosbeak

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue Grosbeak

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot from car. Used spot healing brush to even out the BG and clean up the beak, shadows/highlights and sharpened the bird. NR on BG and tail.

Manual exp., 420mm, 800, 6.3, ISO640

C & C welcome.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Carolyn,

Greetings. Good looking subject with good feather detail & separation from bg. Looks a bit back lit with the sun high in the sky on an overcast day? In any event, more light to the front would bring out the facial features instead of the brightness around the edges. That said, I'd be happy if this were mine.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice -- looks like a good exposure for an overcast day. And a very interesting perch. I'd think about toning down the yellow in the lower left. The rest of the BG is very nice.

More detail in the specs would be nice -- what camera and lens? Handheld, beanbag?....

Your information on the top or sidebar of the posts doesn't say where you are from (which may give a hint where most things are shot). That's also nice to know. I wish people would add that to their profiles.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really pretty, Carolyn! Great detail, cool perch, lovely BG. Also, ditto what Diane mentioned.... location is always helpful too. TFS!!!!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, All, for your feedback. This was taken on an intermittently cloudy day in July a year ago from the Wildlife Drive of the Edwin B. Forsythe NWR in Galloway, NJ. It was hand held from the car. I think next time I will try a bean bag just to see if it makes a difference. Also, I was using partial metering. I'm not sure if that was the best choice. The sun would still have been fairly high in the sky, and slightly behind the bird.