Thread: 10 Seconds to Fledging - Belted Kingfisher.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 10 Seconds to Fledging - Belted Kingfisher.

Attached Images Attached Images

Some weeks ago I posted an adult flying out of the burrow. Knowing these guys' nests are sensitive to disruptions my friend and I gave it lots of time before heading back for photography. We did leave the camouflaged covering we used propped up at the spot to get them used to it, which they did (we did scout the place on many occasions to monitor progress). On one evening I saw there was an adult peeking out without flying out, which was odd. After a few minutes I realized it was actually one the young ones peeking out into the outside world. Not to miss my chance I made it a point to go there the next morning. I hid under the camo tarp, which was further concealed in some tall grasses, and waited...and after a short while here it came, just poking its head out!

The adults were on a dead tree behind me, causing a commotion...and coming near the burrow with fish but not landing to feed the young one. I thought it was my presence bothering them and I started contemplating leaving them alone, until I saw this little one edging closer and closer up to where its feet were clinging to the edge as we see here. It was bobbing its head too and moving its wings. I realized that the adults were actually not worried about me but rather trying to coax it out of the burrow, which it did literally less than 10 seconds after this image was taken!! I had just told myself to get rid of the TC and modify the settings for more SS in anticipation of that. oh well. It flew to the tree the adults were in behind me, about a hundred yard first flight. Unbelievably all I did was watch as it leapt out...I totally froze on the moment. Talk about a rookie mistake in missing the pivotal moment!! I still got back home with a sense of satisfaction though...and feeling lucky to have witnessed such a beautiful moment in the kingfishers' lives.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld (on my belly, elbows braced to the ground), small crop for comp, lightened the belly, removed a few distractions on the dirt mound, coaxed out some details on the white neck ring.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, you have captured an amazing moment. Great job....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful image and story. Thanks for sharing it. I do not recall ever seeing a young kingfisher emerging from its hole in a photograph. Super well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic write up, and really great natural history image!....Dare I say...mag! (magazine quality). Young female then I guess? One consideration would be to eject the leave in the lower right hand corner...Regardless, congrats on one sweet hard to achieve avian image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet image, wonderful story! You can feel the anticipation of this youngster getting ready to experience the "big world".
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great fun Daniel, and the story adds a lot.

Do you know if they reuse nests from year to year? Perhaps another go at it next year, or are there more chicks in there now?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully captured! What a nice story and moment!

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe not what you wanted , but sweet still. Love these birds. Great story and lesson to the newer shooters. Must respect the subject and it's environment.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story and capture, Daniel. You put a lot of work/prep into this and the resulting image is brilliant. It's remarkable how this youngster looks like a full grown adult.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image and story, Daniel.

BPN Viewer
    Almere-Stad, Flevoland, Netherlands, Netherlands
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible! Very cool story and the picture is awesome. Pity you mist the moment it took off, but witnessing this must have been very satisfying as well. I love the leaves in the lower left corner. Adds something to the picture if you ask me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool that you were able to capture this guy just before its maiden flight. Too bad you missed the flight shot but its easy to do in this business:) Gosh knows how many cool frames I have seen with my eyes and had my camera in hand, only to freeze and watch it happen right in front of me. At lest you got this clean shot and you have the other flight frames saved in your hard drive in your head :)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent timing Daniel just before lift off, nice story too.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story and capture, Daniel! Hopefully they will reuse this nest next year and you can capture what you missed this time! TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I missed this shot so I am very late to the party.
    Love the story and the image.
    Gail