Thread: Common Goldeneye...a bit of salad.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Goldeneye...a bit of salad.

Attached Images Attached Images

This gorgeous drake cared about three things it seemed. Where were the hens? (who accompanied him the entire time I watched them.) Where was the food? Which he dove for several times and on this occasion, still had a bit of dinner on his bill. And of course where was I? But for the most part he really did not care about the last part. This was the tamest male goldeneye that I've encountered to date. No blind was used. Just laying flat on a sheet of ice in hip waders, timing any need for readjustments to be made during his periodic 13 second dives. Canon7d, Sigm50/500, iso400, 1/800, crop, USM. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Regards,
    Shawn Zierman

Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent low angle and eye contact, sharp. some of the blacks are blocked and maybe you can recover more details from the whites too.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Arash. I went back to the RAW and tried to tame the whites and brighten the blacks a bit on the duck...contrasty little bugger in this light quality... :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

We had a similar situation in Ottawa this past winter where a drake goldeneye was the tamest ever and allowed close approach while feeding (or rather, approached closely when one laid low on the ice). They usually flee from a hundred yards away or more

The repost is indeed an improvement on this high dynamic range fella. Nice sheen to the head feathers, and the low angle works well as is usually the case. Nice blues in the water, and the item hanging from the bill adds some interest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I looked at the OP my first thought was- great low POV and I like the size of the duck in the frame very much.
    I also felt the blacks could be opened up and I see that your repost has addressed this issue.
    I like the seaweed wrapped around the bill.And the frops on the back are always a plus!
    Very nice image,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Shawn, all the colours blend perfectly Lovely image Well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love these guy's. Such a great looking duck and one I have yet to capture. We don't get them to often out here in the Pacific flyway. The shot looks great and I like the low POV you achieved.
    The first frame looks a bit hot on my monitor so the repost handled that well and the darks in the head look better too. The weed on the bill looks cool and that piercing yellow eye is really captivating.
    Nice work Shawn.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an outrageously good looking duck! Love the low angle and the eye contact. Great iridescence captured on the head and I for one am enjoying the super white whites in the repost.