Thread: Solid gold...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Solid gold...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys,

This is another taken at the same spot as my previous post in this forum. It's taken a bit later when the golden glow of the iminent sunrise is at its best. IMHO the image is not that wonderful but I just love the light here and wanted to share it... It's a magical time of the day.

Canon 1d4 and 70-200 F 2.8 hand held at 130mm
    1/1250 sec @ F8, ISO 1000.

Processed in ACR CS6 for levels... that it..! No sharpening or NR.
    Slight crop from right and lower border.

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nicely designed image. But for the gull in the center that merges with the reflection of the mast.... You could have gone a lot lower on the ISO even hand holding. And lower still had you been on a tripod. Lastly, I think that you could have either juiced up the colors nicely here or gone to a SILH. Thanks for sharing. Is this your home city?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie

Thanks for the comments, and I agree with them all. Settings choosen for chasing a shot of the gulls which were diving on bait fish in the foreground, no luck however... I saw this and took a quick snap before the gulls took off again. Also has a tripod handy but not much use for BIF. I guess I could have setup to do the shot properly but I think the photographer in me was satified as I went to this spot for the previous post which I was happy with..

Yes, this is my home town, Perth Western Australia. What is a SILH? I agree I could have amped up the colours more but my preference always is to keep it real... and I thought nature had made it unreal as it was...

best regards and thanks again for commenting

DON
    Last edited by Don Railton; 06-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

SILH is short for silhouette. Thanks for the info above.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, I like what you were going for here. If it were mine I would evict the two gulls and the steel post in the water on the right and then use Nik's Viveza and place a control point on the sky and adjust the warmth slider to juice up the colors as Arthur suggests.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andrew.. I have one without Gulls so I will give it a shot tonight.. as a separate post of course..

Regards

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this image! The one gull center could go, and the post, but they aren't spoilers, for me. And I love the soft colors. The bright highlights on the boats add a dramatic touch. The mist subdues the BG beautifully, letting the boats stand out so well.