Thread: "Dragon in the Desert"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Dragon in the Desert"

Attached Images Attached Images

That is the title of this sculpture by Ricardo Breceda, "The Accidental Artist". There are well over 100 of these works installed in the desert around Borrego Springs, California. I was fortunate to visit them on a day with dramatic sky and clouds.

I used several Nik filters on this one, HDR Efex Pro, Glamour Glow, Detail Extractor, and Vignette. I also cloned out a rock that was in front of the dragon head and some other rocks that were lying around as well as a support pole that prevents the heavy sculpture from falling over. Big loss of quality, as I had to reduce to 65% JPEG quality to get the file size down.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors and composition are great, but it's even better because of the perspective and timing of your shots. The placement of the dragon with respect to the mountains and the clouds adds a lot to the impact of the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the colours and all the dramatic lines Kerry. Good job of cloning, I can't even see where you did it. Your choice of processing works very well for this dramatic image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is great Kerry! Wonderful composition and colors, and the mountains make a beautiful background. I'm glad you had some nice clouds to add interest to the sky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is so bizarre, the sculpture, not your photo, which is excellent.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kerry,

Greetings. Agree with Anita, very bizarre, excellent photo. I particularly like the contrasting colors and the interplay of light and shadow. My sense would be to remove the flare at tongue and near the cloud.

Thanks for posting. Didn't know that about Borrego Springs... are the these permanent installations?

Cheers,

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone! I was so excited that day, as I seldom get to this location and was hoping for blue skies at best...

Michael, as far as I know these sculptures are installed permanently.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com