Thread: Wallaroo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wallaroo

Attached Images Attached Images

Another Aussie icon, this time a female Wallaroo. These are a hill country version of macropod and are much more stocky that the better known Grey Kangaroo. Females are smoky grey and males dark charcoal grey.

Another Panasonic FZ200 image focal length equivalent 630 mm f3.5 1/125 iso 100. Early morning.

Pretty much full frame but the animal was a bit too far to the left so I moved a strip of background from the right to the left to get slightly better balance.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin - Nice to see yet another different Aussie animal. I know I am going to sound like a broken record but there is a blue/cyan cast again. Are you using a calibrated monitor? In this rp I reduced the blues overall, dropped the cyans in the whites in selective color, then opened the midtones on the wallaroo in a levels layer and finally applied a simple s curve adjustment selectively to the wallaroo to lift it a little more from the bg. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, you are way ahead of me in understanding of these things and I'm grateful you are taking the time to persist! I do have Arties Digital Basics and will go through it again since I obviously didn't learn much the first time. My monitor isn't calibrated (Dell 27") so I will look into that as well. Cheers, Colin.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, cute mother and baby (what do we call a Wallaroo baby?). I find color cast a pretty tough thing to learn from reading, you will just have to use a good monitor and train yourself to see it. It's of course easier when someone points it out to you. here the blue cast is most evident in the grayish looking of the white. Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loi, a baby Wallaroo would be a joey as for any baby macropod, and thanks for your advice. I placed my OP and Rachel's RP side-by-side and I can see the difference. However in the RP the animal is too monochrome grey. I regularly see these and next time I will pay particular attention because as I said in the OP, they are smoky grey.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, nice to see more images from 'Down under' and this particular 'Roo' in more 'wilder' settings, compared to Don's more 'urban' environment, good to have a comparison.

My first impression is that the image looks very cold 'in colour' and a bit thin in tonal depth, even though taken early morning. Just slightly reducing the exposure by a third of a stop I think helps. I like the framing and the idea the mother has paused for a moment to stop & check you our, whilst the joey is gazing ahead. No idea of the camera, however a bit more ISO to bolster the SS would be good. Colourwise I balanced the RGB to get an almost 50, 50, 50 (well they were all around 51-52) to achieve a mid grey at the top part of the closes arm, a starting point, then it's personal choice and recollection in which direction you take the colour, but this a mid point and have not altered the colour from that balance, although I did drop the vibrancy to the background -10. A touch more selective sharpening could also help IMHO.

Not sure if this helps or not?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin - Steve's warmer version is much more pleasing to the eye.

Rachel

Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin

The Master's RP is stunning once again, as usual .

The little one resembles a small Jack Russel?!

Andre
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin. Nice to see something different, I have not seen one of these, not sure if they exist in WA. They seem to carry a much heavier coat than the local roos, so maybe they are confined to the cooler sections of OZ? I like Steves RP and his tip of balancing the values in the 3channels is something I have recently adopted to get the WB right, it is a big help and independent of your monitor calibration or lack of calibration in my case. Good tip. I have plans for another image of a different macropod which is confined to a small island off the coast here..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another yes for Steve's repost - how cute is that little blighter??
    It's always interesting to see the actual variety of macropods from the land of Oz.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE