Thread: Stare-down with a Coopers

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stare-down with a Coopers

Coopers Hawk. Salem, Massachusetts.
    This Coopers let me stand just feet away from him for about half an hour before taking flight to where they have been seen building up a nest.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Cody,

What I like about this image it's the stare down like you said. It draws my eyes to the birds face and I really like the light pinkish colorful background.

I do find a few things that could be fix to improve the image. The flash reflection from the eye can be clone out, mostly from the left eye, also the branch running behind the bird it is a bit distracting and it can also be cloned out. Finally I wish for more room at the bottom with the tail feathers not been clipped. This all can be fixed with a bit of work in photoshop if you ok with manipulation of the image?

All the best,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cody:

Welcome to BPN. Makes me wonder if the hawk was sizing you up for nesting material!

Imperious pose, great eye contact, nice use of fill flash.

Good comments from Raybel. Part of the issue with the crossing branch behind the back is the high contrast with the bright background. You could do some gentle selective reduction in contrast and brightness of the background to downplay that effect.

Lots of options here.

Be sure to comment on other folks images, the best way to train your eye.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton