Thread: Another from the Laguna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another from the Laguna

Attached Images Attached Images

It's been a little quiet here so I'll toss out the other takeaway from the foggy morning last week. (There's one in OOTB, too, if anyone is is into the other Dark Side.)

Canon 5D Mk II, 24-70 f/2.8 at 40mm, ISO 200, f/9.5, 1/20 sec. (Had the Mk III body on the 70-200, which yielded the previous post.) "Horizon" looks a little curved, but it's the trees, not the lens. I always debate "fixing" it.

With the drought here I wonder if there will be another opportunity here this winter. This was our only major rainfall in the last year, and there were only 3-4 minor ones.

C&C always appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this better than the vertical.
    I do see ripples in this one, a bit longer SS would work well for this scene.
    I also might rotate the tree line just a tad CCW.
    I know that you know it is level, but if it does not look like it to viewers, you might want to rotate it.
    Dan Kearl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both are very nice but I prefer the Vertical. I know it is personal preference but I like the character of the tree on the left and feel that the vertical focuses on that tree.

-Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice shot, I'd break format and crop this one thinner. Edge to edge about the same, top and bottom to leave a little room just above and below the bright area on the left.
    Last edited by Randall Farhy; 02-17-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, everyone! I could crop top and bottom -- the thought was to let the clouds "finish" before the edge but the "secondary" light area could be darkened to make it disappear and crop to let the main bright area just finish. I have several shots of this view (the only place you can stand out there) from other years that are more panoramic without so much interest higher up in the sky. (I usually shoot a stitched panorama with the camera in vertical orientation, giving a nice-sized and detailed file, but this time I didn't.)

That horizon does bother me, but if I just rotate it then the left part looks off. It's like a complex lens distortion, with the line of the trees on the right sagging in the middle. I think the best fix would be to resort to warp. Or enhance the line of mist on the water to make it a straight line.

Sometime I should try a lower camera angle, but then I'd lose the reflection. That would be one for a breezy day, maybe.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The horizon doesn't bother me at all. I think it would get slightly stronger with the crop from the bottom, as you suggest. I prefer the accuracy you've shown vs. a longer SS, but that's just me and another minority view here on BPN.

I prefer this to the vertical.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, this is a lovely scene and the horizon is fine with me...my only suggestion would be to darken the water slightly as the sky portion looks a little darker than the reflection. Nice work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did liked the previous version, but this one is better, it has more space and "breathes" through the fog.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A dreamy scene, really like the muted pastel colours and the look&feel here Diane.
    I agree the horizon is a tricky one here - perhaps try and correct it partially (not even sure how to attempt it)?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, guys! I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to fix it -- it's such a nebulous water line. Good point about darkening the water, Andrew -- I must have gone overboard on something somewhere.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pastel colors very much. Nicely done.