Thread: Grebe ID

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grebe ID

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this bird a couple of days ago at Bodega Bay, up the coast from San Francisco. Not sure if it's a Clarke's or a Western. The coloration around the eye seems to be in between the two.

Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm leaning toward Clark's...or Western.... SIGH... very cool! Western's and Clark's (especially this time of year) are tough. This does almost look like a hybrid, or perhaps some molting? May also be a first year of either, based on coloration of neck and back.... any pics with the head upright?
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Only this, about the same head angle -- same individual as I recall.

Name:  grebe_J2A4756.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  351.1 KB

Then there was this one, a juvenile I assume, but the one in the BG looks different -- I didn't notice it at the time to get a shot of it.

Name:  grebe_J2A5006.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  362.7 KB

And a different individual:

Name:  grebe_J2A5154.jpg
Size:  283.7 KB

Then almost exactly a year ago I shot this one in the same place, gotta be a Western.

Name:  grebe_J2A2345.jpg
Size:  378.0 KB

One of my bird books says they do occasionally intermarry, and, after all, this IS California....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    I shot this bird a couple of days ago at Bodega Bay, up the coast from San Francisco. Not sure if it's a Clarke's or a Western. The coloration around the eye seems to be in between the two.

Thanks!
    I believe this is a Clark's Grebe, due to the orange bill color. Same for the other orange billed large grebe posted. The greenish billed large grebe is a Western grebe. Bill color is a real good field mark, IMO. The in focus small dark grebes are Eared Grebes (sharper looking bills and dark lower faces) and the OOF small grebe is a Horned Grebe (thicker bill overall and the white face below the eye). These small grebes are in winter plumage also. I was over at Bodega Bay last week and also saw both of the small grebes together.
    Last edited by Dan Brown; 02-02-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Add another vote for winter plumage Clark's, which will have a little more black around the eye area than they will in breeding plumage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, thanks! That's for the top one I assume. Would the bottom one, with what appears to be a slightly more greenish bill, be a Western?

And the two middle pictures, I assume juveniles, but they have much shorter bills. The one OOF looks like more like an adult -- or an older juvenile?

I'll have to start paying more attention to them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    OK, thanks! That's for the top one I assume. Would the bottom one, with what appears to be a slightly more greenish bill, be a Western?

And the two middle pictures, I assume juveniles, but they have much shorter bills. The one OOF looks like more like an adult -- or an older juvenile?

I'll have to start paying more attention to them.
    Please read pane #4 I have tried to ID all the pix. It would be easier if they were numbered. You have 4 species of grebe posted here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Apologies, Dan. Don't know how I missed your full text, except probably from just reading the email reply, which didn't cover the whole text. I'm usually more careful.... (Or I thought so.)

I'll definitely pay more attention to them. Never thought I'd get even this far into bird ID, as it was just an interest in a new and challenging aspect of photography that got me this far.

9. Thanks Dan Brown thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane, in addition to the color of the bill, the extent of the black on the face of the last grebe is good for Western. I'm with Dan on all of his ID's.

11. Thanks Dan Brown thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Guris View Post
    Diane, in addition to the color of the bill, the extent of the black on the face of the last grebe is good for Western. I'm with Dan on all of his ID's.
    Me too!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.