Thread: Monitor for photo processing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monitor for photo processing

Hi all,

I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere, but I can't find a recent post.

If anyone is knowledgeable about computer monitors, could they possibly list some good suggestions for quality screens to be paired with a laptop for photo editing. I know that there are many available and at all different prices, but I'd be very grateful for a few guidelines or suggestions.

Many thanks.

Ed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What's your budget? How much room is there on your desktop?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks - both good points. If I could get something for up to £500, I would be happy, but I would be persuaded to go above if that's what it takes. I would like something which is relatively easy to move, but space is not an issue really.
    Ed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shutterbug Magazine columnist David brooks has reviewed and recommended monitors for quite a while. He won't say one is good unless he really thinks it is. In the December issue he reviewed and recommended one that I made notes about: Asus PA249Q (24” 1200 x 1920 pixels), $500. Adobe RGB gamut.

In the November issue he recommended the LG ColorPrime 27 EA83-D (27” 1080 x 1920), $1000.

With a laptop, there would be considerations about how big a screen the video card will drive, and the connections.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I highly recommend a 24" monitor, if you have the room and your laptop will drive it and your monitor calibration hardware/software. I was going to say the same thing as Diane regarding recommendations. Also, prior to the Asus and LG, David Brooks also reviewed and recommend a Dell 24". (I forget the exact Dell model, but you can find it in the Shutterbug archives).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Dave and Diane. Do you know how I can find out the capabilities of my graphics card?

I will look into those two monitors.

Ed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the past few years Brooks had liked the Dell U2410 but in one of these last two articles (I think it was there, or on his blog) he said he no longer recommends them -- the technology is newer and better in the two he recommended above. Here's what I wrote -- been keeping running notes on monitors as I'll soon be replacing my old Eizo: Dell Ultrasharp U2410 (CCFL) is now considered old technology. LED backlit (when calibrated properly) allows wide-gamut and is now the way to go. (All are LCD screens, backlighting differs between CCFL and LED.)

I don't know how to find what your card will do -- I'd probably call customer service or tech support for one you are interested in and see if they can help you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

tftcentral is the best computer monitor review site on the web: excellent in-depth reviews, plus a wealth of general technical information about monitors.

Link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

John

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look at the NEC's. That is where I am headed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like the newest Dell, U2413, is newer technology. Some NEC's have gotten very good reviews.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed,
    like those threads/questions about our tools, that we should choose.Many different options and opinions.
    My suggestion would be, go for a screen that is built for this work, every dollar is well invested.If you have ever worked on a big screen and then go back home to your smaller one ……….. -
    I am working on a 30" screen and have 24" as the second where all the PS palettes are staying , so i have nothing in front of the image.
    More important for good color is the capability of the screen to be hardware calibrated,not software calibrated because it is not that accurate.

So conclusion for me would be, at least here in Europe, there are actually only two companies who are having this kind of screens, NEC Spectraview!!!!! series and EIZO CG series.There was in the past another one that i own , QUATO but they shut down sadly last year.But i got my big screen for an unbelievable price.
    The companies i just talked are having great reputation amongst the pros in the pro labs and printing industries, where you need consistent and correct colors .

So whatever you choose and budget allows go for one of these.

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It depends on your budget. Unfortunate high quality screens are becoming more and more of a specialty item targeted at professionals and more expensive as a result.

Low cost monitors (most that use non-Japanese LCD panels) use TN technology. These displays are limited to only 6 Bits, some use a look-up table to emulate 8Bit data, but they cannot really display full 8 bit colors per channel which is the bare minimum for serious imaging, despite manufacturer advertisement as 8 Bits (16.7 million colors). The more expensive panels use S-IPS technology that is capable of true 8Bit support. Cheap displays often have glossy surface which causes a lot of reflection, making it hard to calibrate or judge accurate black/white points.

see this for more details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-fi...rystal_display

Re LED : This can be also deceiving in advertisements. By itself, LED is much better than CCFL because of perfect uniformity in the back light and better color response, higher contrast ratio, etc. . However not all LED displays use a full-array LED (meaning an LED behind each pixel). They use the so called "edge-lit" LED where the LEDs are around the rim of the display and use a diffusion panel to spread the light. In this method the brightness uniformity and contrast ratio becomes worse than a good conventional CCFL screen. The only advantage is lower power consumption and low cost.

So, make sure you know which kind of LED before buying.

If you really want a screen that can be used professionally, calibrate for print output and deliver consistent results your choices will be limited to NEC, EIZO as Andreas mentions and some pro models from HP/DELL that are used for CAD applications. These are above your price range. If you must have quality I would try to find a used LCD as they drop in price a lot. Usually an older model can be had for a fraction of its original price.

If you don't care that much, the above choices are good.

here is another review site with comparisons that include pre/post calibration results

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6890/d...-lcd-review/10
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed, seems Andreas & Arash have echoed my suggestions too, I guess the issue is not how much, or what to go for, but can you get it out there and not suffer Loi's issues with delivery. Like your photo gear, you need to think long term as well, especially the way you are heading with your images, it will pay long term.

cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A bit above your budget but still the best bang for your buck. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tcal_wide.html