Thread: Crab Spider on petunia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crab Spider on petunia

Attached Images Attached Images

This little chap (1cm across) is confused . They are supposed to use flowers similar to their own colour. This one was on a petunia.
    I've seen one this size take a bumble bee.
    D200 Sigma 50MM Macro
    Managed 3 stacked shots.
    Not too bad with insects like this that are static for a while !!
    ISO 200 f5.6 125th second
    Tripod remote release.
    About 60% of frame.
    Cheers
    JohnR

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John,

Wow! This image is sharp and the detail is amazing. Good work. Focus Stacking is one thing I have yet to try, but with results like this I may have to give it a shot this weekend. Does it take a long time to do in post?

- Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

H iDavid
    No- dead easy. Hardest bi tis the stacking. Good tripod and cable release. Use a big aperture (f5.6 or 4 for betterdefinitionof each shot. ) Manual focus - start at front and do say four focuse points working backwards towards the rear of fthe subject When youhave done a sequence -take a blurred shot of something to separate each sequence. I use CZM which is a free download. Put your segqence of pics in the box and press "do macro" and thats it !!
    You can do it in photoshop but Iwouldn't know how.
    Any porbs -pm me.
    Cheers
    John

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Johnny a pleasing image but if you look critically there are a few areas of ghostliness and slight fuzziness, I am not expert at stacking - not done it for several years but I would imagine for something with this depth of potential focus you would need multiple images - don't ask me how many but my guess would be a minimum of 7.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dead right Jon
    They tend to twitch their legs !! More stacks just makes it worse. Thats why I don't do many "live things "
    Cheers
    John

Roman Kurywczak

Hey John,

I really like the comp....but the legs caught my eye right away with a bit of a funky look. I don't stack....so no help from me there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roman
    Yes I might try and tart it up abit or I may have another with less leg movement.
    Cheers
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Tried one from a different one in the stack sequence and played a bit. Don't like "playing" too much but then that's what all digital"phoroshopping,Paint Shop Proing " is anyway.
    Cheers
    John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John. I agree this light-colored spider seems out of place on the bright red flower - but it makes a great photo-op! These little guys must have some very fast-acting venom to be able to routinely subdue bees larger than themselves! I prefer the repost because it doesn't have the "ghosting" around the legs on the left side (I assume that was a by-product of the stacking). Yup, stacking with a subject that moves even a tiny bit causes problems. I would suggest using more images in your stack, but you do need a cooperative subject. For the most part you have good sharpness though I would wish that the "horns" or bumps above the eyes were a little crisper looking. You might also consider selectively brightening the face just a bit as it appears to be in a slight shadow - a minor tweak. Overall, this is a very colorful and attractive image!