Thread: Boston old and new

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Boston old and new

Attached Images Attached Images

In Boston recently (not for the games). On the historical walk, noted the contrast of the old and new. Bright sunny day but I was in shadows of the buildings. Hand held. Nikon D7000. 1/250. F4.0. Iso 160. 18mm focal length. Fully size shot but with a slight curves,sat adjust.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hazel - it is an interesting view of old and new. I've looked a couple of times and each time had the same impression - I want to see more of the doorframe and detail at the bottom. The bright sky in the upper left corner is a little distracting so you might want to tone it down. Finally, although you've got good sharpness throughout, I'm curious about your choice of f4 in the field. I would have stopped down a bit.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Rachel. Got your point about the door, but it was difficult to get it all in unless I wanted to lie down on the sidewalk. I was trying to get the contrast of the high modern buildings to the older building. Given the light, etc, the f4 just worked that day.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hazel, a nice perspective here. I agree with Rachel's critique...and also feel this could work well/better in monochrome.
    How do you like this (as an idea - artifacting came in from working with the low res JPG)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I agree with Rachel, too, but just couldn't seem to get it all in, as I said, given the angle I had to work with. Really like the monochome. Hadn't thought about that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hazel,

I like this image, nothing is straight with the frame of the pic itself To get all in frame next time, why not try to go down in the ground, might help sometimes, not always!
    The monochrome Morkel did looks great for this one.

Have a great eve

Ciao
    Anette

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anette Mossbacher View Post
    Hi Hazel,

I like this image, nothing is straight with the frame of the pic itself To get all in frame next time, why not try to go down in the ground, might help sometimes, not always!
    The monochrome Morkel did looks great for this one.

Have a great eve

Ciao
    Anette
    Next time I'm in Boston, I'll try to get it all in. I agree it would have made a more fully stated photo. At my age I just didn't feel like lying down on a busy sidewalk in Boston that day....maybe next time.