Thread: 1DX: rear focus and AF accuracy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 1DX: rear focus and AF accuracy

Hi,

I will soon be using an EOS 1DX.

I like Artie's rear focus tutorial and have been using rear focus it with my 7D. Awesome.

On the web there is lot's of discussions about the accuracy of Al Servo vs. One Shot.

Some say One Shot is more accurate. I didn't notice any real difference with the 7D.

How is the situation with the 1DX? Let's assume I use Al Servo with rear focus to focus on a perched Common Buzzard instead of One Shot.

Will I notice a difference?

I will of course run tests but I am interested in the opinions / experiences of people who are already using the 1DX.

The camera is really complex and I will read the manual several times, read Canon's AF guide several times and also buy Artie's 1DX AF guide and Ari's "Canon EOS AF guide for avian flight photography".

I want to get everything out of the 1DX that the camera is capable of - otherwise it would be stupid to buy it.

Markus
    Last edited by Markus Jais; 07-30-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My experience is that aiservo and the back button focus method works great with my 1dx.
    mike

3. Thanks Markus Jais thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been using back button AF and ai servo for almost a year now with my 1DX and it is always spot on tack sharp, especially if there is any movement at all as it focus continuously, whereas with one shot if the bird moves slightly just before exposure it can be soft on the eye.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Markus I have used this since owning one of the early MKIIIs and have continued to use this method with the MKIV and now the 1DX. The images are fantastic, colour well balanced and images so sharp you could cut yourself on. It's the way to go!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks Markus Jais thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer back button AI servo focus with my 1Dx. Quickly pressing a releasing the AF button will give you perfectly sharp frames on a static subject.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

8. Thanks Markus Jais thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I couldn't compare the two as I have not used One-Shot AF for years :). And the last time that I checked, my images made with rear focus and re-compose look pretty sharp. Never use One-Shot unless you are on a tripod. And if given the choice choosing a sensor, placing it on the subject, and keeping AI Servo AF active is always better than either One-Shot or rear focus and recompose as it will adjust for small subject movements.....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

10. Thanks Markus Jais thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello
    only a question:
    when I press the rear focus button start also the exposition valutation or it is starting only when I put down the release button ?
    Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi everyone,

thanks for the answers. Very helpful. When I tested the 1DX I didn't use rear focus. This week I should get my own 1DX and then I will do my own tests. But given what I've learned with the 7D I am sure rear focus will be the way to go for me with the 1DX.

Markus

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chalk & cheese Markus in relation to bodies, but it's not quite as straight forward in the set-up IMHO.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.