Thread: Looking Past Mt Tam

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Looking Past Mt Tam

Attached Images Attached Images

Another aerial captured a few minutes after the previous two posts. Looking NW past Mt Tamalpais, about 15 minutes before sunset.

Canon 5D Mk II, 70-200 f/2.8 at 200. HH. ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/500 sec. Basic LR tonal adjustments then to PS CS 6 for some minor cloning, NR and local contrast enhancement with Curves.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 07-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Saving the best to last Huh Dianne...! I really like this, the layers of colour all stack up to one great shot IMHO.. Don

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Diane, did you try a Mid-tones luminosity on this. Just for contrast. It brings out a bit more the sky when used selective!
    Love the layers of it

Ciao
    Anette

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, everyone! Yes, Anette, the tones, and mids in particular, are pushed WAY beyond the original RAW interpretation, and maybe a little too far on the mid-distance hills. The scene was very flat. The clouds were barely visible, even with polarized sunglasses.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane - I like the layers a lot (similar to my image from the Smoky Mountains) but there's a strong halo at the edge of the closest ridge. Personally, I would also probably crop from the rhs to eliminate the hand of man elements (generally, I don't clone).

TFS,
    Rachel

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, lovely layered hills again. Rather than crop I think the hand-of-man elements could be cloned if you are not opposed to such photoshop work. This is a lovely scene but as an alternate version to this I also favor a crop from the top for a pano of the layered hills...I think it gives the hills more impact. Beautiful work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I work up an image I'm interested in the esthetic aspects more than the photojournalistic ones, and would have no problem cloning out the tower and power poles. I only left them in because Mt Tam with its observation tower is such a well-known silhouette here in the San Francisco Bay area. For a more generic hill I probably would have removed them first thing.

I do like the idea of cropping out most of the sky, but cropping from the right just feels a little awkward.

The halo above the FG hills came from too much Clarity -- I should go back and get rid of it.

Thanks for the comments! Always good to have more eyes!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent layered image Diane, like what you have done with the dark FG, draws the eye in nicely. I also like the light tones and haze. A stunning scene.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful scene captured here Diane! I like the shadowed foreground and clouds/haze between the hills.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Halo noted.
    The layers and misty look create a powerful visual appeal. I agree with Andrew on cropping the sky from the top.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank for all the comments! I do like it with less sky. I left a little of the clouds here, but think it could also work with even more off the top. Halo issue addressed.