Thread: Snake's head fritillary

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snake's head fritillary

Attached Images Attached Images

Tripod Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro, MLU, Cable, ISO 100, +2.0 EV, 1.3 sec f16, fill in flash - 1.6
    This fritillary was growing nearby the garden pond, there was no way on earth I was going to get a decent shot of it in situ so I blamed Barney for knocking it over, then I took it in and photographed it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

HI Jonathan, very pleasing composition, these are very photogenic flowers. I thought the image could use a little more contrast, specifically the flower head against the white background. I found that there was some room left on the left part of the histogram, so applied a simple levels adjustment. See how you like the result.
    I hope you planted this flower yourself. The wild version is listed as vulnerable on the Red Data List for the UK..... It is very rare in The Netherlands as well, I know of only two places where you can find it in the wild.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,

what a lovely flower, never have seen those here in Swissyland. Jerry addressed already what I was thinking of it when I saw your image. Very well done.

Ciao
    Anette

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anette Mossbacher View Post

what a lovely flower, never have seen those here in Swissyland.

Anette
    Hi Anette, they do occur in Switzerland, although there too they seem to be rare. See this article I found on the Internet: http://www.jardinsuisse.ch/fileadmin...7/07_08_34.pdf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments I agree a little more contrast helps. The plant was planted in the garden from cultivated stock, I intend for there to be a small meadow of them over the forthcoming years.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, that sounds lovely! And it will provide you with ample photo opportunities in the coming years. The natural meadows where these species grow here attract hundreds of visitors and photographers each year. Pretty cool for one plant species.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan.

Sorry to be so late in commenting on this, but it is beautiful. I've never seen this flower before, but the way you've captured it is elegant. I like the green green shoot that gracefully curves toward the flower. And the flower itself reminds me of the Tiffany lampshades of old. Very nice!

Norm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon. Very cool "studio" shot of an interesting flower! Nicely set up and composed. Jerry's repost makes an interesting alternative - though I like the OP as well - I think it depends on the look you are going for. Very well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful composition , i am ok with both the versions and the OP didn't get me to think of anything other than " What a fantastic composition" everything was really secondary for me when i saw it the first time.
    really lovely setup and a classical composition.

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the simplicity, the high key look, the image design, and the repost. Oh, yeah, and the flower too.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post