Thread: Noiseware Pro vs NIK Define vs Noise Ninja

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Noiseware Pro vs NIK Define vs Noise Ninja

I have used Noise Ninja years ago and then switched to Noiseware Pro about 3 years ago. With the free release of NIK software I have tried NIK Define and was impressed. The Noiseware people have changed the original product quite a bit last year. Localized application of noise reduction to images has been either eliminated or made more difficult. I am not sure I like the new interface and results. I tried NIK Define on an ISO 3200 7D file and was impressed with the results.

The NIK interface seems easy and the automatic creation of a layer seems beneficial. I know I have not mentioned Topaz, but I have no experience with this one.

What have you all found? Which do you find to work best?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I read a review recently (can't find the link) and, in a nutshell, it advised to use the NR program that you know how to use. I think they gave NIK the nod, but said that differences were only noticeable in side-by-side pixel peeping, and that a skilled user of any of the "losing" programs would get better results than an unskilled user of NIK. I use Topaz and like it. I just bought the NIK suite, and have played around with Define, but still usually end up using Topaz. I may search for some how-to videos of Define and make the switch, but I don't see any pressing need to do so.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed- I use NIK Dfine and Topaz Denoise. Both do the job. Topaz has a "clever" algorithm that avoids NR in areas of the image where there's lots of detail. In NIK you would have to set up Control Points to do the same thing- i.e., avoid the subject, or maybe do a lighter NR job on the subject.

I must say, when I get the exposure right in the 1DIV and use <= 800ISO, NR does not come into the mind. This situation can only get better as technology improves.