Thread: In Black and White

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default In Black and White

Attached Images Attached Images

Trying my hand at some BW imaging now that I have Silver Efexs Pro 2 this was the last image I really like from my Christmas morning shoot since you guys had already seen the other color images from that day I never posted it before. Looking for any advice I can get on working in BW.
    Thanks
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the FG!! The clouds are a little muted, to me. Maybe it would be possible to layer and mask a second processing for them with a different choice of color filtering?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don - I agree with Diane. The b&w conversion has worked well on the rocks but the sky and clouds aren't really doing it for me. The color version was much better in that regard. Rather than a double processing, I would consider cropping tighter and concentrating on the rocks with the b&w.

TFS,
    Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Don, the image has a lot of B&W potential with the smooth water over the beautiful, and interesting FG rocks. I'm certainly not an expert, but with conversions - since we can't separate by chroma and hue - I feel we need to separate the elements of the image by contrast, structure, and luminosity. Silver Efex has some great tools with control points and a myriad range of possibilities with all of the contrast and structure controls available. I usually start with one of the presets that seems to fit the image best, then adjust from there.

I took the liberty of making a VERY quick and dirty Silver efex just to illustrate separation. I started with the fine art process preset, and went from there. The possibilities are endless. Sorry if I ruined it.

A very fascinating book on the subject from Vincent Versace:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/from...=9780321794024

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Don...though the OP lacked some "oomph" for me tonally and in terms of contrast.
    John's repost has addressed that and I think it rocks, nice work John. Ideally for most, perhaps it is somewhere between the two. Certainly the water needed to have brighter whites and the rocks more contrast
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I second Johns version as better. But it needs some toning down on the rocks right side upper frame. The highlights are a bit bright. A very nice image here Don. Thanks to John for a huge improvement in the conversion process. I bet your final version will be outstanding. I like the crop as is.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the foreground rocks...how long was this exposure? Asking because the water looks soft up front but looks like it has more texture in the background.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Fuller View Post
    I really like the foreground rocks...how long was this exposure? Asking because the water looks soft up front but looks like it has more texture in the background.
    hi James, i like to drag the shutter when shooting these beach scenes for this image is was around 15 seconds
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the response Don, I like the effect you got here...also like the color version. You've got some great shots in your smugmug gallery as well!