Thread: Cosmos Fence

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cosmos Fence

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been studying the Complete Guide to Lumunisoty Masks video tutorials by Sean Bagshaw for the last couple of weeks - I must admit, I was amazed with what one can achieve with luminosity masks and surely understand the whole concept much better now!

A storm was building when I visited the in-laws over the past weekend in the town of Secunda, situated in the highveld region of South Africa (Morkel's backyard) - I knew I had to get an image of the numerous patches of cosmos (which is actually a weed ).

This is a blend of two exposures using the blue channel method as suggested by Hougaard. I used luminosity masks to tone down the highlights in the sky and to improve overall midtone contrast. Selective application of Hougaard's "glow brush" on the grasses and also using Hougaard's sharpening action, which improves saturation and diffusing highlights after resizing.

What do you think...?

Equipment: Canon 7D and 10-22mm lens with circular polarizer.
    Last edited by Rudi van den Heever; 03-26-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Rudi - glad you found a good patch under some nice skies...how far did you drive out? I saw on the way back on Sunday that the patch we normally use has come into late bloom and is looking great! Next week's mission...

This looks good - great spread of luminosity, though I might be tempted to tone down the brights in the FG a wee bit?
    Your landscape processing is moving along nicely - I have yet to watch the tutorials from Sean...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input Morkel! Drove South for about 7km and found this fence close to the road through a farm gate...

Yip, the OP is a bit "over cooked"! Redone the whole image... An improvement?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Luminosity upfront is improved but you lost the nice golden colour in the top RHS cloud?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good composition, Colors, interesting sky. The repost looks good, but I agree with Morkel re: the RHS sky.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the second one better just ad another mask to your luminosity laver you used to tone down the foreground in paint in the effect to that area only
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy