Thread: Resizing an image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Resizing an image

I recently posted a bird shot that received two fairly favorable posts, however both mentioned posting a larger image. In this case, I got a message that indicated the image was too large, and by the time the post was allowed...after making it smaller and smaller...it was quite small. 635 x 381, 252KB. Any suggestions as to how to post it larger? I have absolutely no tech training and I'm totally self taught, so any information is greatly appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What software are you using for post processing your images?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Photoshop CS4

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is one way I dug up. If this previous post doesn't help I will either clarify or someone else will.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ng-for-posting

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much...it worked and I learned something new...which is always a good thing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Robert. This is the way I do it. Image >Image Size > Re-size > DPI 72, long side 800 > OK ------- File > Save For Web > Adjust quality slider so size of image is less than 200k. > Save. I included a screen shot. Hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Similar to above answers but I use CS2. When I save an image as jpg it gives me "quality" settings. The hihger the "quality" the larger the file size in KBs
    Don't know hnow CS4 does this but I'd assume it has something similar. Typically when posting to BPN I use a quality of 6 and this keeps a 1020 pixel file within the 250KB limit.
    Here's what that jpg quality setting looks like in CS2 -
    Name:  jpegq.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  55.5 KB

Tom

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you go into save for web you can open the fly out menu top right. Select optimize to file size and type in 250kb or whatever size you need and it will save the file as close to your specified size as possible.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
    Similar to above answers but I use CS2. When I save an image as jpg it gives me "quality" settings. The hihger the "quality" the larger the file size in KBs
    Don't know hnow CS4 does this but I'd assume it has something similar. Typically when posting to BPN I use a quality of 6 and this keeps a 1020 pixel file within the 250KB limit.
    Here's what that jpg quality setting looks like in CS2 -
    Name:  jpegq.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  55.5 KB

Tom
    Hi Tom- When I use this way of saving a jpeg, the estimate for file size it gives you is always less than the actual size. It's best to fine tune the quality setting to get the best quality while not going over the 250kb limit. You can do this in Save for Web and Devices.

Just for clarity, the image size limits that have been in effect at BPN for some time now are: no more that 1024 pixels wide, no more than 800 pixels high and no more than 250kb in size.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Hi Tom- When I use this way of saving a jpeg, the estimate for file size it gives you is always less than the actual size. It's best to fine tune the quality setting to get the best quality while not going over the 250kb limit. You can do this in Save for Web and Devices.

Just for clarity, the image size limits that have been in effect at BPN for some time now are: no more that 1024 pixels wide, no more than 800 pixels high and no more than 250kb in size.
    Yikes. Thanks John I didn't even that changed!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert, Here is the way i prepare an image for the web once the image is ready with all adjustments made except sharpening and noise reduction got to
    Image> image size when the dialog box open check all three boxes at the bottom( resample image, constrain proportion, scale styles) and choose Bicubic (best for smooth gradients) at the very bottom of the box for the method. For horizontal images type in 1024 for width in the pixel dimension box then check the height box to make sure your crop does not give you a height over 800 pixels adjust as needed to get within 800 for vertical image just type in 800 in the height box hit OK and PS will down size your image and scale it .
    You now will have a small image on your screen so you need to go to View> actual pixels to get it sized properly for the screen. Now this is where you want to do your finale output sharpening needed and noise reduction if needed.
    once your finale adjustments are done go to File> Save for web when this dialog box open you need to do the following steps open the drop down menu to the right of the preset box and click on optimize to file size once this is open type in 250 and hit OK, the next box down pick Jpeg skip the quality box it will be set to what ever 250kb gets you for that image next check the progressive and embed color profile boxes along with the convert to sRGB box( very important ) thats it now hit save name the image and your ready to post on BPN. Using this method will ensure you get the largest image with the most detail that BPN allows if you need any more help send me a PM.
    Thanks
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

12. Thanks brian simpson thanked for this post