Thread: how to find Birds? LOL

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default how to find Birds? LOL

Alright So I'm a little new to photographing birds in Tennessee I was in Florida where it seemed I could go to any beach and find amazing birds to photograph. Since trying to shot birds here I cant fine any in real numbers and seem to have a hard time getting anywhere close to them. I'm using a Nikon 500mm f/4 and a DX body (so really 750mm). my question is with all you wonderful birders on here how do you do it? Do you typically use blinds and just sit and wait? are some of you baiting? go to the local zoo's lol. I just want to get closer and have some amazing shot. Thanks Paul

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As far as finding birds, I use a couple of resources...

1. Bird watching clubs. Usually their sites will have news on where they've been and links to other birding areas.
    2. Newspapers. My paper has a weekly column about the local birding hotspots.

As far as getting close...I've used blinds. I've scouted areas beforehand and picked a spot to settle down
    at. I've also gone the down on your stomach approach. I've also just walked a trail just looking. Pretty much,
    you name it, I've done it.

My best advice is to just keep on practicing and go slow n easy.

If you're trying to approach a bird, take a shot, then move. This way in case the bird does take off,
    you still might have something useable.

Try and research the birds you might encounter. For example, you might discover that Bird A is more
    approachable than Bird B.

Doug

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul- All this is not easy, that's why it's so rewarding and so much fun! Not sure when you were in FL but that place is a hard act to follow. Though extensively developed, it is still an incredible place for birds, and they seem to be very accessible and tolerant of people.

In many places, bird species diversity and abundance changes seasonally with the non-breeding, winter periods being much quieter than summer. As you go farther south, the seasonal difference is not so great, although the species may be very different summer and winter. Now spring is coming in the northern hemisphere, it won't be long before your Tennessee forests are teeming with warblers, thrushes, and all sorts of songbirds either moving through or setting up to breed. Likewise your wetland areas will come alive if they aren't already. A good place to start is with your excellent system of national wildlife refuges, national parks and forests, state parks, and other protected areas. These are often centred on prime habitat for birds. Quality habitat is the key!!! You also have Georgia right on your doorstep! Doug mentions making connections with birders and you can also connect with other bird photographers in your area- there are probably a few BPN members close by! I like being on my own in the field but it is also tremendous fun to go out with other like-minded people making pictures of birds, and you will learn a lot from them in the process. If you are interested in this you might want to start a thread in the general photography section calling for bird photographers in your neck of the woods.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've got the right equipment, so you should be close enough for great shots. Besides using blinds (it can be as simple as a throw-over blind) get there before dawn and set up in a good place, like on the side of a pond, or beside known nests or on the edge of a meadow.

Where allowed, you car or truck makes an excellent car-blind. I do lots and lots of shooting from my car. For raptor, look at tree tops and phone poles along roads with open fields on either side. You can shoot from your car and/or get out of the car and shoot. Learn to shoot your 500mm hand held if at all possible.