Thread: Great Gray Owl Feather.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Gray Owl Feather.

Attached Images Attached Images

I was fortunate to find an almost "mint" 5-inch long feather from this awesome species that made for great macro photography. A few experiments with comps, lighting, and settings made for intriguing results...here's one of my early favorites.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/9, ISO 800, dim backlighting (stuck to inside patio door with overcast conditions outdoors), handheld.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

lots of detail, I like the angle of the rachis, effective lighting. Under controlled circumstances like this , would certainly consider a tripod to help keep everything in plane and allow more shutter speed and ISO flexibility.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Backlighting really accentuates the "camo" look to the feather. A cheap set of Kenko tubes would allow you to get close and magnify it even more if you were interested. Lovely stuff.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, seems you've gotten the most out of those owls! I like the abstract feel and the great details captured. Personally, I would have placed the black diagonal slightly higher in the frame. Very well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. I love the patterns and subtle colors - almost looks like a sepia-toned black & white! Good sharpness and detail overall (especially for hh at 1/100) and I like the multiple diagonals. The comp works for me, as presented. This is very well done!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing image Dan, I like the offset diagonal i.e. not being central. I really like the colours and the exposure, the detail is excellent. In a situation like this I would have most definitely used a tripod, abean bag a camera bag - anything to hold the camera still, and set at ISO 100. You have a great shot but if you replicated at ISO 100 you will be blown away with the capability of the 7D for macro.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    Very strong image. Love the comp as is with the diagonal. Nice details and I am wondering like Jonathan what would have been the difference with a tripod or other support. This works just fine though - Well done.

Allen