Thread: Emerald Swallowtail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emerald Swallowtail

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken last week at the Meijer's Gardens Butterfly conservatory. This is the 1st one of this species that I have seen there in the 5 years I have been going. I saw him once for a few seconds, and then gone into the upper stories.

D4 Sigma 180 f/3.5 @ f/16 1/200s ISO 800 hand held R1C1 flash, with two heads

Wish the tails were a bit sharper. Had focus point on head, should have tried moving it down the thorax a bit.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 03-12-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added info
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy. This is another one I haven't seen - and what a beauty! It gave you a very nice pose and you have good sharpness - the slight softness in the tails is barely noticeable and is not bothering me. The bright multicolored leaves in the background are drawing my eye - I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about that. You might try toning down the brightest yellows a little. This such a cool butterfly I think it's worth trying a couple tweaks to make this image even better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve:

I have already reduced the luminosity and contrast of the back leaf, and need something there so the head doesn't get lost against a black/dark BG.

I will have another go at it and see if I can tweak it a bit more.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

Rand
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOvely looking colors on the butterfly. Nice and sharp. Well done on the sharpening as it looks like an easy photo to over sharpen with all the small detailed contrast. A tough bg to work with but after 5 years still a very nice photo.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy I think the image holds well together, the butterfly would appear to be on the ideal plant leaf as the colours are complimentary. The high contrast in the image is a little disconcerting but after a few moments my eye seemed to accept the situation as a replication of a natural scenario. You note the tails are a little OOF, they are indeed but you have managed to get the antennae really sharp so that tends to keep the concentration at the other end. I like the image very much, I said the contrast didn't bother me but just maybe consider toning down the yellow patch bottom right?