Thread: RRS or Gitzo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default RRS or Gitzo

Just curious if anyone has a preference for one versus the other? Looking at either the RRS TVC-34L or the Gitzo GT3542XLS (this could be outdated but I'd get something similar in the Gitzo world). I'd appreciate any input anyone has on the subject.

Thanks,
    Lyle

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lyle, I bought a TVC-34L earlier this year and it's a beast. Before purchasing it I did quite a bit of research between several different tripod makers of similar heavy class models and it ranked the highest in terms of compactness, weight, strength and height but unfortunately not price! I've never owned a gitzo so can't help with comparisons of the two models but would recommend RRS to anyone. Hope this helps and best of luck with whichever you choose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the reply Dave. Just curious, how tall are you, and do you ever shoot BIF while pointing up?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No probs. I'm 6'3". With the legs fully extended and your lens on a gimbal the camera sits about 15~20cm above my eye level so shooting BIF pointing up at about a 45 degree angle is a possibility.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh Dave, I'm 6'2 and I'm afraid you've just cost me a little more money! I guess the RRS will work out after all. THanks for your responses!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Again no probs. Glad to be of assistance. Just one other thing Lyle, I purchased the TA-3-LB leveling base which is designed for Versa 3 series tripods and it's literally worth its weight in gold. I would definitely recommend one to you. Takes all the hassle of leveling the rig out in the field. Best of luck and enjoy it .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have def had my eye on a leveling base and that seems like a great choice. I'd imagine a leveling base would be a huge help in some of the precarious positions one can get in while shooting streams and such!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We own 3 Gitzo tripods (2530, 3541, 5541) and about 6 months ago bought a Really Right Stuff TVC-33. I think the RRS tripod is better in several ways. It is more expensive, but at least all of the money stays in the US. The best feature of RRS is that the top leg latches are spring loaded. They will click all the way out, which is a very obvious 1/3 inch or so. Any less though and they spring back in. Pat and I have had times where one of us didn't check carefully and one of the Gitzo legs had the latch out enough to not really be holding the leg in place. I've also had problems with the top leg bolts coming loose on the 2530 and 3541. Either they are too tight for easy leg movement, or they seem to work loose. And you need the frigging special wrench. No such problems yet with RRS, and it uses an Allen wrench. Hopefully Gitzo has solved their top plate detachment problems (never affected our 3541), but RRS has a positive interlocking design.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have had a few Gitzos through the years and bought a RRS tripod (34L) and love it. 2 1325s with legs coming loose and I was ready for a change as it is. No problems to speak of with the RRS. I like the base and the leg latches. But overall it is an outstanding piece of equipment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was going to go for a new RRS tripod, but quite a few had the leg locks slip in cold weather, as well as in heavy rain. Until this is fixed I am hesitant to recommend the tripods over the new Gitzo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Glatzer View Post
    I was going to go for a new RRS tripod, but quite a few had the leg locks slip in cold weather, as well as in heavy rain. Until this is fixed I am hesitant to recommend the tripods over the new Gitzo.
    Thats interesting--I listened to Martin Bailey's podcast with RRS vice president, and he said there are some exciting new products coming out this spring. Maybe that'll be addressed. Thats the first complaint of anything I've seen about the RRS.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Richard Mc Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Gruby View Post
    I have def had my eye on a leveling base and that seems like a great choice. I'd imagine a leveling base would be a huge help in some of the precarious positions one can get in while shooting streams and such!
    Lyle, I recently purchased a RRS leveling base and considering the cost, I at first thought after placing the order how lazy I had become but after the first use that thought went right out the door especially when shooting in mud as I often do.

Just be a little careful when mounting to a tripod as the only way to get a firm grip on the base is with the actual locking ring, go too hard and the ring becomes locked within itself.

Richard

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have used mine in -15F and up to my waist in a lake (with a 600mm rig for weight) with no issues what so ever with my RRS.